Tape Status: Content Unrecognized

rbk

I created a backup script that has a destination backup set call Monday. The backup script is scheduled to execute a recycled backup every Monday at 10:00 pm. Sometimes I like to manually run a recycled backup (via the run command) to the Monday backup set before the schedule script executes. The immediately executed backup script runs with no errors on the Monday backup set.

However, when the scheduled Monday backup executes, retrospect stops and the tape status quickly displays “wrong version” followed by “Content unrecognized” for the Monday tape.

Are you not allowed to switch between a scheduled backup and an immediately executed backup using the same script and same backup set (i.e., Monday) with retrospect? Let me know if I'm doing somthing wrong. Thanks for your help.

Retrospect displays the following under Configure/Devices/Environment:

Vendor: Seagate

Product: STT20000A

Version: 8A51

Driver: Seagate Travan (1.09)

Today I noticed the following when I inserted my Friday Backup Set. I clicked Configure/Devices and checked the tape status. The Status showed 1-Monday in the tape drive. Then I closed and reopened retrospect. When I checked the Tape Status again, it showed Status Unknown. Wrong Status was quickly displayed followed by Content Unrecognized.

I'm using the following tape device:

Seagate TapeStore Travan 20GB Portable USB 2.0, Model STT6201U2-R.

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

This error message is basically a hardware error being reported by your tape drive. When you go to Configure>Devices and insert a tape, Retrospect waits of the tape drive to report the name of the tape.

When content unrecognized is reported, this means that your tape drive has read the header of the tape and is now reporting to you that the header does not contain readable data. Although your tape contains data, it is not readable Retrospect data.

This could be caused by several things.

1) Dirty tape heads

2) Bad or damaged tape

3) Tape created in a compression drive trying to be read by an incompatible non-compression tape drive

4) Tape written on a tape drive with heads out of alignment.

5) Failing read heads or failing tape drive.

If a tape is created in an older or failing tape drive, then the tapes are often not readable by a new tape drive. This is usually caused by head alignment problem or by drive compatibility between the old and new drives.

If a tape was recently created in a tape drive and now that same tape drive is unable to read the tape, then this could have a few causes:

1) Dirty tape heads

2) Flaky tape heads that are not reading data correctly

3) Tape damage during storage (Electromagnetic fields of some kind), environmental conditions.

4) Physical damage to the tape

Troubleshooting:

Try the following test:

1) Do a backup of 200 or more megs of data with verification turned on. Eject the tape. Turn off the computer and tape drive. Turn it all back on. Launch Retrospect. Go to Configure>Devices and insert the tape. If the tape reports content unrecognized, then you have a major hardware problem and should have your tape drive serviced.

2) Clean the tape heads

3) Try the tape in an additional tape drive. If the tape is readable by other tape drives then this indicates your original tape drive has heads that are currently out of alignment or failing. The hardware would need to be serviced

4) If the tape is only readable by the original tape drive and no other tape drives, then this indicates that the tape was written when the heads were aligned in a very specific and non-standard position. In this cause the tape drive would need to be serviced. Before having the drive serviced you may want to copy the data from a tape in the old drive to a new tape in a new tape drive.

5) If no tape drives can read the tapes, then this means you would need to contact a Data recovery service.

Archived