assign drive letter?

sonic_debris

I have recently installed a PCI IDE controller to run more HDD's on my computer. Everything seemed to work fine for a while, but now I'm getting a strange error.

Retrospect cannot use: CD-RW -RDI, ID 3.0 because it does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

To use the drive, quit and relaunch Retrospect after you assign a driver letter to your drive.

Why would I get this message now? Retrospect worked fine before with the ATA controller installed, but the only way to get it to use the CD drive is to pull the ATA controller from the PCI slot.

Any idea on how to fix this or "assign a drive letter to the drive"?

BTW, the drive works fine in every other program, and it does have a drive letter assigned to it.

running winXP pro

thanks

What OS are you running?

I think I remember seeing that message, also with a CDRW hanging off a PCI IDE card, when I was using ASPI. I had to completely remove ASPI (4.72) to fix this at which point Retrospect defaulted to NT Passthru and was happy with the CDRW (which had a drive letter assigned all along).

You might try switching to NT Passthru mode, even without removing ASPI, in Retrospect if you're using W2K/XP. When I tried that with that setup, launching RP6 caused my PC to reboot. You could also try different versions (download from Adaptec) of ASPI to see if that helps.

thanks for the quick reply! I'm using Windows XP.

The problem totally has to do with the ASPI drivers. It worked fine on NT passthough, but I guess some program that I installed changed the drivers that it uses. How do I change them back to NT passthrough?? I know there is some secret preference page that you get to by holding down CTRL and hitting enter twice... or something like that?

How do I get into that to change this?

thanks

For just making the change in Retrospect it's the totally intuitive "CTRL-ALT-P-P"-->Execution set to NT Passthru.

I don't know of an automated way to make the remove ASPI. I ended up doing it by tracking down the four files (a couple of DLLs, an EXE and something else), renaming them, and rebooting. Maybe somebody knows of an better way (e.g. an uninstall utility).

I found the list (via ASPICHK.EXE utility) of the four ASPI files:

ASPI32.SYS

WOWPOST.EXE

WINASPI.DLL

WNASPI32.DLL

scattered among the assorted Windows directories. Depending on your CDRW setup (and SCSI card and other devices & SW), you may need these (although different versions seem to work better, cause problems, etc. and I'm *not* using the newest 4.72) so I'd try using the CTRL-ALT-P-P on Retrospect first.

Archived