Inaccurate "Files Remaining" Info

I'm running Retrospect Desktop 5.0 (Mac) currently under OS 9.2.2. I've twice now run a Duplicate from one volume to another, once for an initial Duplicate and the second time for an Incremental, from a 40GB drive to an 80GB drive. The first backed up the base of about 27GB, the second Duplicate reported 6.0GB and about 45,000 files to back up.

Near the apparent end of the Duplicate, the Files Remaining Info reported that it had 24 files and 3400K remaining to backup. It stayed that way for well over an hour, displaying a continuous list of files that were being backed up. At some point it the display changed to say "Closing", but it continued to show the same number of files and K and to rapidly display files that were being duplicated. It stayed in with "Closing" for at least a half hour, perhaps more.

It seems like it is performing the Duplicate operation properly, it's just that the reporting of what's it's doing does not seem to be accurate. Watching the names of the files that were being displayed, I saw that many of them were very small and some were associated with OS X files which is also installed on that Source volume, even though I was running under 9.2.2 at the time. Though I wasn't watching that closely, I believe that the same inaccurate display of information occured during the initial Duplicate operation.

Archived