USB CD-RW Drive Skittish

Hi.

I'm trying to use Retrospect 4.3 to transfer a DAT backup set to a CD-R catalog. I'm doing this on a crusty old Mac (remember the PowerTower clones?) running 8.6, which is why I can't use the 5.0 release. The DAT drive is running on SCSI; the CR-RW drive is running on USB (a laCie OEM, via a 3rd-party USB card). I've installed the 2.5.101 driver update, which I needed to get Retro 4.3 to recognize the CD-RW drive.

I start the transfer and Retrospect recognizes the CD-RW drive and asks for a blank disk, which I provide (a CD-R) and click "Proceed." The first two times I tried this, I got:

Couldn't write CD-R header to 1-Temp, error 100 (device rejected command)

Device trouble: "1-Temp," error 100 (device rejected command)

The third time, Retrospect just hung forever. In all three cases, the CD-R's I inserted were rendered unusable.

Interestingly, Retrospect identifies the laCie drive as "SCSI 2:1" even though it's a USB device, but maybe that's normal.

Incidentally, I can burn disks with Toast, so I know the system is configured correctly at least in that respect.

Please help! This is the last "to do" before I retire this ol' workhorse in favor of a new iMac with CD-RW built in and shelve the SCSI tape drive, but I first need this backup set in CD-R form to dispense with the tape drive.

Otherwise, I'll have to copy the original backup set to the new iMac (which is running Retrospect 5.0), then get a USB/SCSI or Firewire/SCSI adapter to temporarily hook up the tape drive and perform the transfer. I'd rather not buy the adapter.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Herzog

Hi,

My notes show that the USB version of the CDBP-241040A 24x10x40 device is not supported by Retrospect at this time. frown.gif

That is probably why you are getting an error during use.

For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

www.dantz.com/hardware

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

Okay thanks, even if the solution is "there's no solution" frown.gif

I bought this drive almost two years ago, and I'm surprised it isn't supported better. I never did get it working right with iTunes, and now that I have a new iMac with a built-in CD-RW, I probably won't even try any more.

thanks,

Tim

Archived