Compatability question

Greetings,

Forgive me if this has been addressed before. I've found conflicting answers, and need some clarification.

I have a LaCie 32x12x40 Firewire/USB CDRW with a Mitsumi CR-48XATE mechanism. According to the hardware database, it isn't supported for either Mac or Windoze. However, according to posts made by AmyC and Mayoff on 07/24/02, it is supported for Windoze as of RDU 3.1 for Windows Retrospect 5.6.

As you can see, there seems to be some confusion as to whether certain mechanisms are supported at all, let alone on a given platform.

My question is this... Is this drive supported for the Mac at all, either under OS 9 or OS X? I'm certainly not going to order Retrospect for my Mac unless it can be determined that it does, in fact, work properly.

This drive is only supported as an ATAPI (Internal IDE) drive, not as a Firewire drive. A search in the Hardware Search Engine for CR-48XATE brings up 2 results

- LaCie 32x10x40 U&I (MITSUMI CR-48XATE and CR-480ATE version)

- Mitsumi CR-48XATE

The LaCie is listed as Firewire / no support for Win, no support for Mac

The Mitsumi is listed as ATAPI / support for Win, no support for Mac

The ATAPI version of the drive is supported on Windows with:

Product Version 5.6

Driver Update 3.1.106

Firmware Update 1.0F

The Firewire version is not supported at this time.

Hope this helps!

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list

• 2 weeks later...

Archived