error -39 ,20G Disk, 835G to back up?

I've got a mac server running retrospect 5.0.238, having a problem with a windows 2000 running the client that comes with Server 5.6 CD. The laptop disk is formated ntfs, the mac is running os 9.2 with HFS drives. This laptop has been backed up many times by an automated script. Now with nothing new on the server or the client the server after browsing the client lists the number of files to backup as 835 G, the drive on the laptop is only 20G so obviously there is a mismatch somewhere. Then I get numerous error -39 because a file that it thinks is 300G (which is actually just a few k or a few meg ) has an unexpected eof.

Things I've tried.

forget the client on the server

remove the retrospect client from the lap top, install client, reboot

add the client back to the server

I did a comprehensive disk check on the windows laptop disk using the built in disk check on the tool tab under disk properties.Rebooted so disk check would run

Looked for patches for the server on the web, I'm up to date.

Any idea's as to what might have happened? It doesn't report every file with a bogus file size but an awful lot of them show up as being 200 to 300Gig's.

any insight is appreciated

From the Read Me:

5. Finder.dat files under Windows When scanning a Windows client, Retrospect 5.0.236 and 5.0.238 may incorrectly report an amount of data to back up that far exceeds the total capacity of the volume scanned. This problem occurs when Retrospect encounters one or more "finder.dat" files on the Windows client volume. Finder.dat files are created when dual-fork Macintosh files are copied to a Windows volume through utilities such as Mac OS's File Exchange or Retrospect's Duplicate functionality. They are used to track the multiple parts of the Mac file while it's on the Windows volume. Dantz is working on a solution to this problem. In the meantime, deleting the finder.dat files from the Windows client volume will alleviate the problem, though the files they represent cannot later be returned to a Mac OS computer with their Mac-specific properties intact.

Additional information on finder.dat files can be found in the following Dantz Knowledgebase article:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26856

Archived