Very Slow Backup to Firewire Tape Drive

arlsord

I am having trouble backingup to tape. When I first installed and used Retrospect 6.0 Multiserver the backup speed to the tape was in the 100MB/min range. When I try to backup a system (whether through the 100mb network or the backup server itself) it

starts out in the 4MB/min range and slows down to about .6MB/min. Instead of what used to take less than an hour to backup now show a estimated completion time of over one day! Nothing has been changed on the backup server. I have system restore turned off. I have my anti-virus software turned off. No applications are running other than Retrospect.

From the Knowledgebase

Check to make sure you have the latest USB or FireWire firmware update for your computer. Hardware vendors often release firmware updates that may help to resolve USB or FireWire issues. Search the vendor web site for Updates.

Retrospect lists the current firmware of the drive that you are using in the version column of the Device Status (or Environment) window (accessible from Configure -> Devices). Check with the drive manufacturer for any USB, FireWire or firmware updates. If there is a known problem with a firmware version, this will be listed on the Dantz website.

Try a new piece of media to see if the problem is related to a faulty or damaged medium.

If applicable, try using a different brand of media. Often drives are picky regarding the brand of media. Follow the manufacturer's recommended list of brands.

If you are using a tape drive, clean the heads with a cleaning cartridge.

Isolate the device. Another device on the chain may be interfering with the backup device's communication. If your backup device is connected to your computer through a hub or another FireWire/USB device, unplug it and connect it directly to a port on the computer. If it is already connected directly to the computer, try changing ports. If the problem persists, do not reconnect the other devices, and continue down the checklist.

You may have a bad cable. Replace the cable that connects the device to the computer.

Update or reinstall the FireWire adapter drivers and/or firmware. Corrupt drivers can cause issues that may not be otherwise detectable. Check the manufacturer's or vendor's website for updated drivers.

Completely uninstall any other third-party backup software that may be on your machine, including any drivers that software may have loaded for the device.

The system board or FireWire/USB adapter in the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer, if available, and try the device there as the only device.

The device itself may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on new media after changing media, cables, software, firmware and computers, then the backup device, being the only factor that has not changed, is the the last variable. Contact your drive vendor for further diagnostics, tests, or to inquire about repair or replacement.

Archived