Hi all,

Some help please, I am running the latest server retrospect and clients retrospect. The Server is on the latest OSX (g4 dual processor) Clients range from imacs to G4, G3’s. The clients (imacs) seem to backup ok, but the other fileservers / mail servers (G4 and G3) splash a message NET RETRY, quite often the servers will crash.

As I said I am running all the latest s/ware . Is this the same as error 519? I am not actually receiving this error though.

I have tried these backups both work hours and weekends when the servers are not being used at all.

Please help! Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have noticed that there have been quite a few posts about this problem since Retrospect 5 for OS X was introduced. I have also had similar problems on my home office TWAN (that's a teeny-weeny area network), which consists of a PowerMac G-4 (the backup server), a FlowerPower iMac and an iBook. There are linked to each other and an ADSL line for Internet access through a Netopia Ethernet router. Backup goes to an HP SCSI DAT tape drive.

With this setup and running Retrospect under OS X (all versions since 10.1 to 10.2.5), I have had frequent hangs on Net Retry (while the client is being scanned) and/or error 519 during backup, if somehow the scan is completed. By "frequent" I mean that I have never, ever, been able to do a complete backup of this very simple network under OS X.

I note that the backup server itself backs up OK to the tape drive, which to me would indicate that there are no particular SCSI issues involved. In addition and thankfully, Retrospect 5 does run under OS 9 and is perfectly able to back up the entire nework without any problems (it's just a pain in the butt to have to boot into OS 9, as I find I spend almost all my time now in OS X).

This last points seems to me to indicate that there are no major network issues, but to be on the safe side, I followed the advice in one of the technical notes I found on the Dantz website. It recommended that two of the machines be connected directly to each other with an Ethernet cross-over cable. Even with this setup, I got the Net Retry hang during scan of the client.

If anyone out there has any ideas what is going on here and can offer a solution, I would be most grateful.

Quote:

The Server is on the latest OSX (g4 dual processor) Clients range from imacs to G4, G3’s.

Three suggestions:

1) I have problems if I use "client desktop" as the source, and the client has a CD or disk image mounted. I get a hang on a Net Retry after Retrospect (erroneously) tries to backup the mounted media. Check your log to see what was being backed up when you got the Net Retry. A work-around is to backup selected devices, or the boot volume, whichever seems safer based on the partitions on the client.

2) Try running disk analysis software on the problem client. I had one client which always hung, which turned out to have a corrupt disk. When the backup hit one of the corrupt files, bad things would happen! We realised what was happening when we ran a backup during the day, and at the same time as the backup hung, the client disk made very unpleasant noises.

3) Network troubleshooting. (Gregory has already started at item one on the list, with a direct connection between server and client.)

Quote:

This last points seems to me to indicate that there are no major network issues, but to be on the safe side, I followed the advice in one of the technical notes I found on the Dantz website. It recommended that two of the machines be connected directly to each other with an Ethernet cross-over cable. Even with this setup, I got the Net Retry hang during scan of the client.

Good troubleshooting.

Have you tried both the iBook and the iMac? If they both hang in this way, the finger is pointing at a problem on the server. If only one of the clients hangs, the finger is pointing at the client.

I've had the same problem using Retrospect Desktop on my Dual 1GHz G4 Quicksilver to back up itself and a Wall Street PowerBook client to a VXA-1 firewire tape drive (no SCSI issues here). Frequent Net Retry warnings and failures with error 519. I, too, have never had a backup of the WallStreet succeed since the problem arose. The G4 always backs up fine. Both machines are running OS X.

The problem has existed for all versions of 10.2. However, it hasn't existed for all versions of Retrospect 5. I believe I can trace the problem to version 5.0.236 and later. Version 5.0.205 would back up the PowerBook client just fine. From 236 on, I've had the network errors. I tried clean installs of the client on the PowerBook, Retrospect Desktop on my G4. No luck. I tried a cross-over cable to eliminate network issues: no change.

I have, quite by accident, discovered a workaround. Having some other application on the G4 access the internet while Retrospect is running will get me past the Net Retry hang. I've found that if I leave my e-mail program on the G4 running (Entourage, but I don't think it makes any difference) and set it to check my mail every minute, then I can back up the PowerBook successfully. Of course, if I'm doing an unattended backup, I get all sorts of errors when the partition with my e-mail database on the G4 gets backed up.

Since I hadn't seen much traffic about this problem on the forums, I attributed the problem to the WallStreet being about the oldest PowerBook that one can reasonably run OS X on, and that somehow it was slow enough that some timing issue was causing the hang. I've been hoping the problem would go away when we upgrade my wife to a newer laptop. However, it looks like this problem, while perhaps still rare, isn't unique to my situation.

I've had a similar problem with a CD mounted, however, it occurs when the software starts looking for a backup device. If I've left a CD in the drive, the software freezes at that point and even a "Force Quit" can't get out of it. The only thing to do is "Restart" manually.

Quote:

If I've left a CD in the drive, the software freezes at that poin

Is your script Option set to the default: Source->Set source volumes' backup time?

Since the CD is locked, Retrospect seems to be attempting to write to a locked volume.

This has always timed out for me (eventually) but no retry is the best retry...

Dave

Quote:

Thanks for the tip - I did try the direct connection with both clients and got the same problem. If, therefore, the problem is with backup server, do you have any idea what it might be? or how to track it down? Any ideas gratefully accepted!

First thing to check Greg, are you running the latest server? (i.e. 5.0.238) A number of issues have been fixed, especially this one:

Speed Threshold

Once you are running the latest version, and have checked the other suggestions here, most of the easy answers are gone. Search for 519 in the Retrospect Knowledge Base and there are a few articles with the *serious* troubleshooting steps.

Archived