New Computer Restore From Old Computer Backup

Kimberly

I had to buy a new computer (HP 734n) and am needing to restore my last back from my old computer (HP 7955) to the machine. The new machine has a Mitsumi CR-48XTE CD-RW Drive, I am sure my old one had another brand.

When I try to recreate the catalog, Retro tells me that the CD is erased, but I know it's not because I just used the set to restore some files to yet another computer last week.

I figure it "thinks" the CD is erased because it needs new drivers or something?

What should I do next?

Thanks!

Kimberly

I am replying to my own post as an update, I verified that the hardware is on the hardware list on your web site - it is a Mitsumi CR-48XCTE Drive version 5.0 and seems to be using the driver version 1.53. Just in case there was a driver update I downloaded the 3.x driver release on 12/23? and installed the rdu.rpx file in the Retrospect directory.

However I am still having the same problem - when I look at the CD's with explorer there also does not appear to be files on the CD's - (not shouting) - BUT I KNOW THERE IS ... as I said I just used the SAME CD's last week for a restore back to the same machine that I used for the backup and they worked fine.

I am not sure what to do and am getting really worried - I could not sleep at all last night - I despreatly need the data on the CD's. My business is at stake here.

I have 20 years of programming and computer usage experience, so I know that I did not just do something stupid and erase 10 CD's :-) -- it's not possible - now my Mom could do that though :-) but not me.

What are reasons that I can not see data on the drive, what I do not know much about is the read/write rules of CD drives - maybe data written with one format type can not be viewed with another?

There is something simple here that I am missing - I need a new view - help!

Kimberly

Thanks very much for the information - yes this is indeed the problem. I installed Retro on another HP machine a few years older than this one I am using and it worked just fine.

I will get the name of the CD-RW device I used for the backup and get that information to you, perhaps the driver that you have for this one needs updating as well. Because it sure does not work.

Archived