Retrospect locks out IE?

JEtkins

Windows XP Pro. Was running Retrospect Express 5.6, now upgraded to Retrospect Pro 6.0.206.

While I appreciate that Retrospect is resource-hungry and will hog a lot of the CPU, it also appears to place some sort of locks on things while running a backup. I sometimes fire off a backup while I'm reading my mail, since reading mail doesn't require a lot of processing power anyway. But if I click on a URL while a backup is running, both my mail reader (PMMail) and Internet Explorer lock up. Task Manager shows them as Not Responding. And this is not simply a CPU issue - pausing the backup has no effect; they are hung until the backup completes or I stop it manually, at which time the new browser window will finally open and PMMail starts responding again.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

1.4GHz Athlon with 768MB of RAM, running Windows XP Pro. Normally, I don't observe this behaviour because my backups run overnight, but yes, I did observe it on the odd occasion when I ran a backup while I was using the machine with Express 5.6, too. I was hoping that the upgrade to 6.0 would help. :/

Archived