Selectors--Diff for Recycle vs. Normal

awnews

For a given backup set, I'd like a way to apply a different selector to a Recycle backup from a Normal backup with Retro Pro.

Issue and reason:

I back up entire HDs. I have some files that are very large and that also change frequently (e.g. mail files, Outlook Express newsgroup files, ThumbsPlus/ACDSee database files). Backing these up in Normal backups causes the backup file to grow enormously. On the other hand, never backing them up (exclude Selector) can result in a loss of large amounts of data and program issues (e.g. can't find file-->have to reconfig or even reinstall some programs) upon a restore.

What I'd like to be able to do is specify that some specific files *are* backed up during a full Recycle backup but that they're *not* backed up during a Normal backup. As long as I have a major portion of the data (even as a "placeholder" for the files--OE's newsgroups are a great example since you'll lose not just the data but the *list* of configured newsgroups) I'm willing to deal with minor updates and/or loss of a small amount of data since the last Recycle.

During a Restore, I would want the ability to Restore [last Recycled backup + specified Normal backup] so that these big "one time" files are restored from the Recycle backup along with all more recently changed files in the Normal backup. This would mean that Retrospect would need to be smart enough (a config option?) to not delete files "missing" from the specified Normal backup that *are* in the Recycle backup.

In reply to:

For a given backup set, I'd like a way to apply a different selector to a Recycle backup from a Normal backup with Retro Pro.

Duplicate your script with the duplicate icon in the Automate > Manage Scripts window. Edit the schedules- one script keeps the normal backups, one script keeps the Recycle backups. Set the selector you'd like for each.

When the snapshot is taken, it does not look at the selector - it looks at the source volume as a whole and takes a picture. The snapshot will find the best match for files listed in the snapshot - which could include files written in the Recycle backup.

Archived