OS X Clients wont show

cantalop

Ok, Ive scoured the forums. Check this out:

4 machines on OS X: G4/867, G4(Dual P), G3(B@W), and an eMac

All are connected to the internet via DHCP with self assigned IPs and the same subnet. All have newest version of client software and I have Retro 5.0.238 trying to see the clients. Before we went to osx, 1 of the 3 clients showed up (now none do). I have the remote apple script deal checked on all the computers, Im able to connect via file sharing on all of them, I just cant get the clients visible. The client Window in retro also says Protocol: TCP/IP ans when I go to "add by address" it says I need a more powerful license code. Could that be the problem? Hmm... It used to work! ;)

Any ideas? Ive read alot here and havent found anything that helped.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the Network Utility (in Applications/Utilities). Try to ping the client from the server. If this is sucessful, try the same thing on the client machine. Do you get a response both ways?

Connect the backup server directly to the client with a crossover cable. Assign static IP addresses to each (for testing). Do they see each other?

• 2 months later...

So Im back trying to still figure this out. I did come upon something interesting today. Our machines connect to the internet using PPPoE. I have created two network port configurations, 1 called built in ethernet, and one called appletalk. Built in Ethernet is setup with a manual ip with PPPoE on, no appletalk (obviously). Appletalk is setup with a manual ip and appletalk on. All four machines get on the internet, and see each other when doing apple-k. When I open retrospect, it still wont show them.

I tried the crossover cable. No luck.

I tried the subnet broadcast, I do not have a "powerful enough" license code (it came bundled with my vxa-1 drive).

The key factor is that it worked perfectly before we went to OSX. I was told if I ditch the PPPoE and go to a normal TCP/IP based dsl connection, it might fix my problems. Ideas?

Uggh and thanks in advance for any help.

Whilst not particularly helpful I am experiencing exactly the same problem....

I can add the client machines by ip address but as they use DHCP allocation on startup the ip address varies. I am using the latest version of retrospect client and retrospect server, and I have also added the subnet mask.

Strangely the client machines were visible 4 days ago, I am trying to identify if anything has changed on my network. Maybe this is related to the last security update by Apple ? ( this is speculation but happened around the same time ).

Right I gave up waiting and called Tech Support ( very helpful ). The problem was fixed by a slight network change on the server.

1. System Preferences > Network

2. Select Network Port Connections

3. Ensure that youre primary network port is at the top of the list ( so for most people ethernet should be top), I had internal modem top and greyed out. Once this is changed everything worked.

Hope it helps.

Archived