Que! Fire 24x10x40x CD-RW Drive

I have a QPS Que! Fire 24x CD-RW drive that I was really hoping would be supported in the new Retrospect 5.0 release, but it's not on the list of qualified drives. Interestingly, I also can't find

it listed in the database as "unqualified," although it was there last time I looked. Several slower

Que! Firewire drives are supported, and I bought this one months ago, so I'm rather disappointed

that it isn't supported yet. Is it likely to be supported in the future? Any idea when?

Jeanne

Irena,

I also have a QPS Que FIRE! 24x10x40 CD-RW drive (with the Plextor PX-W2410A mechanism inside). I bought the drive in early September, 01 based in large part on a recommendation from Dantz technical support. (Although the drive was not qualified at the time - it had just started shipping - the tech. supoport person had lots of good things to say about Plextor mechs. work with Retrospect and Dantz had qualified virtually all previous QPS FireWire drives with Plextor mechs., so it seemed pretty safe to to assume that this drive would also be qualified.) So, I bought that particular CD-RW drive (almost $300, at the time) and bought Dantz Retrospect Express (about $50) thinking it wouldn't be long before I could start doing backups.

In early October, 01 I e-mailed Dantz tech. support to inquire about Retrospect support for that particular drive and got a response saying that Dantz was already looking into qualifying it. That was very nearly *six* months and the drive is still not qualified.

The Plextor PX-W2410A drive (which is the *exact* same mechanism that is in my QPS burner) IS qualified by Dantz as an IDE drive. And, the QPS external FireWire-to-IDE box the mechanism is in is certainly qualified (Dantz supports many QPS FireWire CD-RWs and I've got to believe they pretty much all use the same box).

So, if the Plextor IDE drive inside is qualified and the FireWire box it is in is also qualified, why does it take so long (apparently, at least six months) to qualify them together? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I've got almost $350 invested and have been waiting for six months now and I still can't do a backup! PLEASE qualify this drive.

A response from Dantz to my question (in the previous paragraph) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay

(Mac G4 400 AGP; Mac OS X 10.1.3, Mac OS 9.2.2)

It is not ever possible for us to guarantee support for a drive, or even to give a timeline, since the testing process contains so many variables.

There's a LONG list of drives that we added support for in our most recent release. This list includes many of the internal drives in new Apple computers, among others.

Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to qualify your drive. We strongly recommend that you check the list of supported devices *before* making an investment, to avoid being caught in the quandry of having laid out money for a backup system that does not yet work.

Your reasoning is sound, and it's likely that we won't run into problems qualifying this drive. It's just not possible to make a guarantee though.

Irena,

Thanks very much for the quick response.

I sure hope the QPS Que FIRE! 24x10x40 (Plextor) drive is included in the next batch of qualified drives. I think it is a great drive (except that I can't do backups). The Dantz tech. support person I spoke to back in Sept. 01 (before I bought the drive) said that Plextor mechs., in addition to being very reliable, generally perform VERY well in doing backups using Dantz Retrospect (no packet writing issues that some other mechs. seem to have). So, I'm looking forward to the day that the drive becomes qualified.

Again, thanks for the response.

Take care,

Jay

Archived