How to create alternating backups

docfxit

Hi,

I would like to find out how to create alternating backups. I have two USB 120gb hard drives. I would like

to use Drive 1 on Monday and have everything on there in case I need to restore. I would like to use Drive 2

on Tuesday and have everything on there and up-to-date in case I need to restore. I would like to use

Drive 1 on Wednesday and have everything on there and up-to-date.

Currently they are named the same. On day one everything got backed up to Drive 1. On day two

Retrospect didn't recognize a new drive was connected (Drive 2) and only backed up the changes from

day one.

Thank you,

Gary

Docfxit, this should help you create a script that alternates between 2 backup set, Monday thru Friday. I use this script with my tape backup. You have to use 2 backup sets for this script, one for each drive and 4 schedules, 2 schedules for each backup set. See my note at the very end.

- Create 2 backup sets. Name them "Backup Set A1" and "Backup Set A2" (or as you wish).

- Go to Automate | Manage Scripts and create a new script. Select "No" when it asks if you want to use the EasyScript Wizard. Select a "Backup" kind of script. Name it "Alternating Daily Backup".

- Select your sources.

- Click the "Destinations" button and select both backup sets you created earlier.

- Click the "Selecting" button and apply the selector of your choice.

- Click the "Options" button and apply the options of your choice.

- Click the "Schedule" button.

~ Start of schedule #1 ~

- Click "Add..." to create a new schedule.

- Select "Day of week" (Run on specified days of the week).

- Set the date when you want this schedule to become active. There are some minor quirks here, but to be on the safe side you should set the date to the next Monday. Example 01/20/2003.

- Set the time when you want the backup to run.

- Select this schedule to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

- Enter a 2 in Weeks to make this schedule repeat every 2 weeks.

- Action should be "Normal Backup", to "Backup Set A1".

- Click "OK"

~ End of schedule #1 ~

~ Start of schedule #2 ~

- Set the date when you want this schedule to become active. Set the date to the Tuesday, the week following the start day for schedule #1. Example 01/28/2003.

- Select this schedule to run on Tuesday and Thursday.

- Action should be "Normal Backup", to "Backup Set A1".

- Click "OK"

~ End of schedule #2 ~

So far these 2 schedules will run every other day on weekdays, on "Backup Set A1". You have to create 2 more, similar schedules that will run on the days the previous 2 schedules miss, on "Backup Set A2".

~ Start of schedule #3 ~

- Set the date when you want this schedule to become active. Set the date to Tuesday, the day after the start of Schedule #1. Example 01/21/2003.

- Select this schedule to run on Tuesday and Thursday.

- Action should be "Normal Backup", to "Backup Set A2".

- Click "OK"

~ End of schedule #3 ~

~ Start of schedule #4 ~

- Set the date when you want this schedule to become active. Set the date to the Monday, the week following the start day for schedule #1. Example 01/27/2003.

- Select this schedule to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

- Action should be "Normal Backup", to "Backup Set A2".

- Click "OK"

~ End of schedule #4 ~

- Click "OK".

- Close the Backup script window and let Retrospect save the changes.

- Go to Automate | Preview and make sure that the schedules are as you wanted and that the backup sets are rotated daily.

- Go to Preferences | Execution | Unattended and enable the "Retrospect Launcher service" and "Automatically launch Retrospect".

- Click "OK" and you should be all set.

Note: Theoretically you should be able to get by with only 2 schedules that run every 2 days and then in Preferences you restrict Retrospect to running only on weekdays. However, when you do that, on Monday Retrospect seems to want to make up for the the weekend and will run a schedule at 12:00 AM which you did not set. AmyC, is this a bug?

Also, any restrictions you set in Preferences will affect other scripts that you may create in the future and which you may want to run on weekends too.

Archived