*Massive* slowdown in MacOS X

Hi,

We upgraded our dual-500 G4 from Retrospect Express 4 on OS 9 to Retrospect Dektop 5 on OS X 10.2.3, and the slowdown is really terrible. I read in a FAQ that some slowdown is to be expected, and I understand the reasons, but this is really extreme. Before, we were consistently getting 80 MB/min on our 12x FireWire CD-RW drive. Now we consistently get 8.2 MB/min. A little math shows that the CD drive must be writing at 1x! The drive is a Que QPS-525 with a Firewire interface.

Any help, suggestions, or forthcoming bugfixes?

Thanks,

Wangden

P.S. We moved Retrospect Desktop 5 to a G4 iMac running OS X 10.1.5, and performance went up to around 32 MB/min. However, for logistical reasons it would be much better if we could use the dual-G4.

OK, here we go:

ID: FireWire-A

Vendor: QPS

Product: CD-R PX-W1210A

Version: 1.05

Driver: QPS CD-RW (5.01)

I should also mention some more specific version numbers:

Retrospect Desktop 5.0.238

Driver Update 3.3.104

MacOS X 10.2.3

Thanks,

Wangden

• 2 weeks later...

I too am experiencing the *same* issue and have been for some time. Our tape drive information is below.

Vendor Sony

Product SDX-700C v0101

Driver AIT-3 DC (5.01)

I'm running the Retrospect server application on a Dual processor G4 500, running Jaguar - 10.2.3. I can provide direct comparisons for the SAME user with the SAME machine utilizing the SAME network port, etc... running Mac OS9 versus Mac OSX (he just upgraded) - info below. The OSX client performance is so bad, most of the time, the backup does not complete. These are laptop users which is even more problematic since I don't have the opportunity to back them up at night. So... the issue appears to be the client software.

IMHO - this is a very serious problem that Dantz needs to address and has not. I understand a decrease in performance, but going from 123.1 MB/minute to 10.5 MB/minute is simply not acceptable.

User running Mac OS9 backup times

+ Normal backup using Backup Server for Laptops at 1/6/2003 8:41 AM

To backup set Week 5 AIT…

1/6/2003 8:41:04 AM: Connected to username Powerbook

Completed: 75881 files, 5.2 GB

Performance: 123.1 MB/minute (104.2 copy, 150.5 compare)

Duration: 01:33:56 (00:07:34 idle/loading/preparing)

The SAME user with the SAME machine running Mac OSX 10.2.3 -

+ Normal backup using Backup Server for Laptops at 1/24/2003 11:25 AM

To backup set Week 7 AIT…

1/24/2003 11:25:28 AM: Connected to username Powerbook

Completed: 265 files, 41.7 MB

Performance: 10.5 MB/minute (5.4 copy, 146.9 compare)

Duration: 00:27:33 (00:19:41 idle/loading/preparing)

thx for any information / help you can provide.

Quote:

I too am experiencing the *same* issue and have been for some time

Actually your issue does not sound the same at all.

Wangden started this thread with a report of local backups being slower with Retrospect Express 5 under OS X then Retrospect Express 4 was under OS 9.

You're saying that with Retrospect 5 running under OS X your OS 9 clients backup faster then your OS X clients do, right?

Is it just the one client noted? Or do all your OS X Client machines exhibit the same performance?

41 Megabytes in 27 minutes is far worse performance then we see with any machine on our network. Some specific information about the machines that are experiencing this would be helpful, and perhaps some information about your physical network.

Have you tried connecting the PowerBook to the G4 directly (with a cross-over cable if necessary)? Isolating the network hardware would be the first step in confirming this as a software issue.

Dave

This happens with all our OSX machines of which we now have approximately 10 out of 30 users using OSX. I backup both Windows (various flavors - mostly Win2000, but a couple of XP machines), Macs running OS9 and Macs running OSX.

The performance issues exist for all our OSX client users. If this were a network issue, why would the OS9 performance on the same machines not be at issue at all? I've been responsible for the same group of machines for 2+ years. ALL our users moving to OSX have experienced this significant slowdown. Most of the time, it takes so long to just run the preliminary scan on the OSX machines, that the laptop users are gone before it can even start. One of the laptops has approximately 10Gb of data - just the preliminary scan took 1.5 hours. I booted the same machine into Mac OS9 and the machine completed the entire backup within a little over an hour's time.

Sorry if I posted this to the wrong forum - I'm using Retrospect Server w/ clients. We are doing network backups, not local backups - all the machines are on the same subnet and I've verified 100T connections and even had networking run tests on some of the ports.

I'll try the cross over with my Tipowerbook and report back, but... I don't see how the network could be at issue here when booting into OS9 on the same machine seems to be completely problem free.

Archived