Check Media When Quitting with OnStream DI-30

FuzzyJohn

I have Retrospect setup to run a script.

1. Start Retrospect.

2. Quit Retrospect. I get the window asking whether I want to quit, check media or cancel.

3. Select Check Media.

4. Retrospect starts to access the tape drive, and while it is still accessing I get a message saying that the media required for the next backup is not available.

5. I select "Don't Quit".

6. Retrospect finishes accessing the tape drive and reading the tape.

7. Quit Retrospect again. and select again to check media. This time around Retrospect accepts the tape and quits.

I tried these steps with a Sony SDT-10000 tape drive and in that case Retrospect accepts the tape at step 4 and quits.

Why is it behaving different with the DI-30 drive?

John

• 2 weeks later...

There is a delay in communication between the computer and the tape drive - Retrospect is not getting the information quickly enough.

Try straightening out the internal ribbon cabling.

Try switching master and slave settings.

Try new internal cabling.

Try updating the firmware on the device if possible (see the drive manufacturer's website).

Are the drivers for the IDE controller current? Try updating them with an approved update from your PC vendor.

Was ASPI installed correctly? Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files

folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60 or higher. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe). If you still have problems, consult the Retrospect User's Guide or Adaptec's website.

Is this Windows NT or 2000? If so, enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

Finally, try bringing this drive to another PC and trying the backup. If it works here, you could be having a problem with either the ATAPI bus on the original machine or with the PC itself.

Hi Amy, and thanks for your reply. I will try to make it short.

Altogether I have 15 machines that use the OnStream DI-30 and DI-30 FAST drives. These machines run Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional.

All drives have their firmware up to date.

All drives are installed on the secondary IDE controller as slaves to the CD-ROM or CD-RW drive as the case may be. I don't remember where I read that this is the prefered setup for the DI-30 drives.

The IDE drivers are as installed by the respective version of Windows.

The ASPI drivers are either at the version distributed with Retrospect Professional or the newest from the Adaptec site.

The Windows 2000 and Windows XP machiens are using SCSI Passthru.

Cables are OK (unless I have 15 bad cables).

Moving the drive(s) to another machine is a moot issue, as I already have several machines with these drives.

I know that the OnStream DI-30 drives take longer to mount a tape compared with the only non-OnStream drive I have used (Sony SDT-10000).

Maybe Retrospect should wait a little longer before giving up. It should detect that the drive is busy and give it a chance to mount the tape.

Are you aware of any other OnStream DI-30 user who does not have this problem? Who knows... maybe I am jinxed. laugh.gif

Archived