Can't see clients

firkin

I'm running Retrospect desktop version 5 on Mac OSX (version 5.0238). I have installed the latest client on a Mac OS 9 station. Retrospect cannot see this client. I can ping the station, connect to the station, copy files back and forward, run the internet on the client station. I have tried fixed and dynamic Ip addresses, but nothing works. The client is installed properly and is on and ready for first backup. I can't add by address in this version (though I could in 4.3). I've tried to back up across the network without a client but this doesn't work, Retrospct only seems to see the name of the station but no files on the station.

Does anybody have any ideas on this? Thanks

Hi

They're not on different subnets. Both machines now have fixed IP addresses (both with subnet mask 255.255.255.0) I've tried connecting directly with a crossover cable, and nothing has changed at all. Both machines remain visible to each other, can be pinged, files can be copied from one to the other, but retrospect cannot see the client.

Do you have other clients that can be sucessfully added?

If possible, as a test, install the application on another computer and see if this client can be logged in.

Try installing the application on the OS 9 machine and the client on the OS X machine (no un-installations are necessary - both the client and application can be on the same machine). In this configuration, can the application see the client?

• 2 weeks later...

I've now tried this. Whatever way round it's done an OSX machine cannot see OS 9 clients and OS9 machines cannot see OSX clients. However the 2 OS9 stations can see each other. So Retrospect on an OS9 machine can see a client on another OS9 machine, but not a client on the OSX machine.

I have had related problems with not seeing OS clients. I'm running Retrospect desktop version 5 (5.0.238) on Mac OSX (10.2.3) on my office computer and installed Retrospect client (5.0.540) on a separate Mac OSX (10.2) computer down the hall. When I couldn't see the client, I have tried a number of different things, including a static IP address for both computers on the same subnet (I can ping both computers). When I installed Retrospect desktop on a separate computer down the hall it could now see the client I had installed as well as additional other clients, but entirely different from the clients listed on my office computer. Finally, I installed the client on a second computer (on the same hub and subnet as my office computer) running MacOS 9.2. This client could be seen on the Retrospect running on my office computer but not on the one down the hall. Any other ideas as to how I can see the client on the computer down the hall? It seems like there are almost two different groups of clients that are being seen (both contain mutually exclusive lists of OS 9 and OSX comptuers) on the local network. Any suggestions (besides jumping?)??

-btl

Quote:

It seems like there are almost two different groups of clients that are being seen (both contain mutually exclusive lists of OS 9 and OSX comptuers) on the local network.

This sounds exactly like a subnet issue. One set of computers in one subnet, the other set of computers in the other subnet....

I've looked at this. The firewall is not on. I enabled the Retrospect port as suggested anyway. This made no diference. I don't have anoher OSX machine to try your second suggestion with I'm afraid. Still the same situation where OS9 station can see the os9 client on another station but not the OSX client on my OSX computer. The OSX compter still cannot see the OS9 clients either.

Launch the client control panel, what version does it currently say? Does it indicate TCP or AppleTalk? What error happens when you try to use the "add by address" option inside Retrospect? What is the "status" inside the client control panel?

If the client are appearing in the client database, make sure you forget them from the window before looking on the live network for them.

The client is TCP/IP. Its status says "waiting for first access." When I try to add by address Retrospect tells me I need to buy a more powerful licensing code. This has happened since I upgraded from 4.3, when I could add by address. The clients simply don't appear in the client window, so I can't forget them.

Hi,

We changed the licensing from 4.3 to 5.0 (and then again later after 5.0 was released). Originally the upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0 did not include a client license, that was an additional upgrade fee. We now include 2 free licenses with the professional version. You can still get those two licenses for free. This URL should give some helpful details:

5.0 Licensing

Hi

I've already downloaded them and added their licences. The problem is that the OSX machine where I have my DAT drive simply cannot see the os 9 clients on the network. If I install retrospect on one of the OS9 machines it can see a client on the other OS9 machine, but not the OSX client (which I installed following a posting from Amy). I need my OSX machine to see the Os9 client so I can back up using the DAT on my OSX machine. Adding the licences has made no difference, I still cannot add by address as I've upgraded to the desktop edition which doesn't allow you to do this.

Quote:

When I try to add by address Retrospect tells me I need to buy a more powerful licensing code.

This would indicate that Retrospect should be able to see the clients, but the license manager is unhappy with the codes you have entered. This may be a case where you should call our customer service and confirm that your copy of Retrospect contains all the necessary codes to login the clients.

If the client was not visible to Retrospect on the network, you would get an error -1028 when trying to login the client, not the error about the more powerful license.

Except that tonight I rebooted my OSX machine into OS9 with the same licensing codes Retrospect found the other client no problem. When I started it back into OSX the same problem occured - it just cannot see the client. It really doesn't sound like a licensing issue to me. (incidentally I'm using the same IP address when in OSX as in OS9), otherwise the licences wouldn't work in OS9 surely..

But I think it is seeing the client...that is why you are NOT getting a 1028 error, but not allowing for login.

This is OS X workstation not an OS X server, right?

Try removing the Retrospect preferences so that the programs asks you to enter the codes again during launch. See what happens when trying with the clean set of preferences.

I've read all the posts in this topic, because I have the same problem.

I'm using OSX 1.2.3 on a 800MHz G4 PowerBook with a 48 Gb HD and 1Gb installed RAM. The latest version of Retrospect Workgroup is installed and the latest version of Client software is also installed on two other portable PowerBooks running OSX. The Clients are on and ready; all the computers are on the same subnet, as distributed by an AirPort Base Station with DHCP and NAT enabled; no firewall software is on, and OS 9 Clients are visible.

Timbuktu, Dave, OSX networking, and all other networking software can see all other machines and work properly, but Retrospect cannot.

Frankly, I think Dantz needs to go back to the drawing board on this.

OK I've trashed the preferences, reconfigured. As soon as I try to find mac os network clients it searches and then still reports "no backup clients found. Click add by address to enter a client address directly." Of course the program won't actually allow me to do this and tells me "This feature requires a more powerful application license code." Works fine under OS9. What is going on with version 5?

I am not bridging to a wired network for the backups. My backup machine is another wireless Titanium PowerBook connected via Firewire to a 100Gb QPS hard drive. and all of my OS9 machines are visible, one on the wired portion of my network and the others on the wireless segment.

It seems to me that if Dave and Timbuktu can negotiate NAT that Retrospect should be able to do it to. I will try your suggestion, but I still think that Retrospect multicasting needs further development and cannot operate properly in OSX, especially since it does work with NAT enabled and with OS 9 machines.

Archived