Retro 6 on a Home Network

tschenz

I've just bought v6.0.206 and am trying to use it to back up my 2 computers (one using the client software) connected through a SMC Barricade router. The computers can ping each other, transfer files, etc., but Retro 6 can't see the client when I try to add it into the database. If I click test and specify the IP address, the program can see the client.

I saw in other posts that the router must support multicast as well as UDP. I'm not sure if these are enabled on my router or where to change them. Can you give me some guidelines on checking this out? In my router's control panel I see terms like Virtual Server, trigger ports, public ports, and client filtering. These have UDP options associated with them, although there's nothing that appears to have disabled UDP. Thanks in advance,

Tim

Columbus,OH

Here's a followup. I've been able to determine that port 497 is not active on the primary computer but is active on the client computer. This port is apparently reserved for Dantz use. Should the software activate this port upon installation? If so, why didn't it? How do I open this port (using Win XP Home)? From the DOS window the command netstat -a also shows port 497 as a UDP port not open on the primary computer, but open on the client. Other UDP ports are shown open also.

Tim

In reply to:

Should the software activate this port upon installation?

The Retrospect application does not have the ability to open or close ports on your system. You should check the WinXP built-in Firewall, along with any other security programs installed on your system, or through your router.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd check back in and report on what I've found out. After much discussion with other expert groups, etc., the problem appears to be in the brand of router that I'm using (SMC model 7004ABWR). I can get the client to connect if I connect the 2 computers directly (no router) or if I use a borrowed Linksys router. SMC was no help in trying to identify what settings could be made in the router to fix the problem. I've tried every combination of settings to get it to work, but no success. So, I think I'll order a Linksys router. Any other users having success or failure with specific brands of routers?

PMFJI

The "firewall" portion of the SMC router doesn't matter here...you're just going through the "switch" portion when connecting to local computers. I've used lots of SMC network hardware over the years but never an SMC home firewall. But I'd be very surprised if there was anything to configure that affects its operation on the LAN side side for Retrospect's purposes. All of the settings you mentionned are on the WAN side and are thus irrelevant.

I haven't browsed the other threads you're referring to, but I think you'd have a hard time finding a router whose switch doesn't support UDP and broadcast.

Unlike with software firewalls, absolutely do not open port 497 on the router! That would open that port to the Internet, but would have no effect on your RS connectivity.

I've used RS 5.6 with a Linksys BEFSR41 v2 and RS 6 with the BEFSR41 & now a BEFSR81, but have found RS 6 client connectivity to be hit-or-miss with no clear indication of the cause (except that AmyC and I have proven that a lot of things are NOT the cause!).

My only caveat about Linksys is that their firmware upgrades often break one functionality while fixing or adding another. But that may be true for all brands, for all I know. Try Broadband Reports for active web boards focused on Linksys, SMC, and other home firewalls.

HTH

Jeff

Archived