Chronic elem.c - 812 and 819 errors

Here's my configuration:

Power Mac G4 733Mhz

Mac OS 9.1.2

512MB Ram

60GB Internal Drive

120GB External Firewire Drive (Western Digital's new one)

Retrospect 5.0 Server

I'm getting chronic elem.c - 812 and 819 errors when I start scripts. Seems really strange. I checked the problems on the error list to see if I could negate it. Switched off all control panels and extensions that are non-apple (I used the 9.2.1 base extensions in the extension manager and then only activated Retrospect 5.0's additions). Then I thought that it may possibly be the fact that I was backing up some of the sets/scripts to the external firewire drive, but (1) some of the scripts crashing are going to the internal hard drive (supported by retrospect) and (2) the firewire hard drives appear to be supported.

Any help would be appreciated, known conflicts, etc - I will be calling tech support at 9am CST as well - I'll post follow-ups after that.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I had the same exact problem. Took me 2 days and numerous telephone calls to convince tech support that there is indeed a problem with 5.0/OS 9.x as well as problems with OS X. Kind of pissed me off as they tried to assert that I was experiencing a hardware problem. Same hardware worked great with 4.3. Finally went back to 4.3 and everything is back to normal other than the fact that now I have a couple file servers and OS X clients that I cannot backup because the 4.3 OS X enabler expired and will not be extended. Thats real nice as now I am vulnerable to data loss on critical systems. I think the situation is bad enough that the product should be pulled. I doubt though that the marketing people woul like that. Goes to show you and I always am the first to upgrade...never buy or implement a 0 version of anything. Worse than even this is that I will never hear another word from anyone at Dantz regarding this issue. Might be time to look at alternatives........

Peter Haase

Network/Systems Manager

Los Alamos National Laboratory

Hello,

Dantz has reproduced this error with Retrospect 5.0 and we will work on a solution for everyone. For now, you can use the following workarounds:

1) Turn off Filesharing on the Mac OS 8 or 9 client computer

or

2) Allocate a bunch of memory to Retrospect in the "get info" Window's Preferred Size. 50MB worked for my testing.

Mayoff,

Unfortunately, neither of those seem to work. I have LARGE amount of memory dedicated to Retrospect in efforts to alleviate (256MB allocated) and the problem exists. Turning off filesharing is not an option on at least two systems (they are Appleshare IP servers).

Let me know if there are other workarounds - I will decrease the memory allocated from 256 -> 50 to see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick response and effort!

Patrick

I guess I'm not understanding.

The Retrospect application on my system (Retrospect 5.0 Server) has been increased (memory allocation) to 256MB (also tried the 50MB, with same results) but the elem.c - 812 and 819 errors still exist.

Turning off Appleshare on two of the CLIENT systems (at least) is not an option, as they are Appleshare servers.

My understanding was that the workarounds were:

(a) increase memory on the SERVER to 50MB or higher

(B) turn off filesharing on the clients

Neither of these work in my case. Thanks again for the help and ongoing support - it is much appreciated.

As a side note (since there have been other comments on the board), both the cost and features of 5.0 Server were great for us. We continue to enjoy the product and hope that, once the elem.c problem is repaired, we continue on in Retrospect bliss :-)

Best regards.

Patrick

The assert only occurs when backing up clients, so Mayoff was suggesting that you move the application to the servers and back them up locally as a temporary solution.

We're certainly working hard to ensure that this is resolved quickly! Thanks for your patience.

Hi, In a large Enterprise setup any of the above solutions are not pratical due to the sheer volume of clients and hardware issues. In the meantime I have reverted back to 4.3 Server which lets me backup the majority of my users since they are mostly running 9.x.....I do however have a couple of OS X servers and OS X clients that I cannot now backup since the OS X enabler for 4.3 has expired. The servers are especially critical. Now what?

I either need an application (5.0) side fix or I need a OS X extension that will work with 4.3 Server. It is totally unacceptable that Dantz has left the Enterprise customer in such a dilemna.

In a large Enterprise setup, I'd suggest taking another Macintosh (in my enterprise days we always had some spares) and installing another copy of Retrospect 5.0 on that. Backup the few OS X machines to this secondary backup machine. If you don't have a device for it, do file backups to the secondary machine and backup the secondary machine as a client from your primary (now back to 4.3) machine (that'll give you redundant backups _and_ archive backups if that's how you work).

It's a drag. But it's a temporary solution that's pretty darn easy to do while Dantz comes up with a fix.

Dave

Will not work with our configuration. I am waiting for a response from Dantz regarding my previous posts and e-mails. I am fully aware of all types of hacks and workarounds and have been using Retrospect since version 1 so I have lots of experience with the product and its behavior. I appreciate your response but I have already evaluated your suggestion as well as others.

Greetings,

Dantz has released a minor update to Retrospect Backup version 5.0 that all customers should download and install.

This update fixes a problem that caused all Retrospect Backup 5.0 editions running under Mac OS X to continually increase their memory usage while any LaunchCFMApp process was running. (LaunchCFMApp is a process used in Mac OS X to open Carbon applications.)

This update also fixes a problem that caused Retrospect Desktop, Workgroup, and Server Backup 5.0 editions running under Mac OS 9 to assert failure (with "elem.c-812") when backing up a client AppleShare IP Server or a client computer that has personal file sharing turned on. (This issue does not affect Retrospect Express installations.)

Retrospect Express 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Express_50203_Update.sit

Retrospect Desktop/Workgroup/Server 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Retrospect_50203_Update.sit

Thank you.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived