Compatibility with Dec 2002 TiBook DVD-R?

Just purchased Retrospect Desktop v5 for Mac OS X after seeing it was compatible with Apple's Superdrive. Didn't know there were multiple versions of this drive doh!.

Can anyone tell me if/when the Nov 2002 TiBook DVD-R drive

( MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815 Revision D0C4 ) will be supported by Retrospect?

This drive is not currently supported. Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Search Enginecolor=blue>

I know this will sound a bit rough. Dantz says it supports Apple's Superdrive, I bought a laptop from Apple with its Superdrive, hense I hope you can see the problem with your statement you replied with :-)

Either your web site should say more specifically say that you support Apple Superdrive Models xxx or Superdrive's in certain types of machines. I do realize that your testing efforts are enormous, and that most likely the money you spend on testing all these products is as well.

Dantz is the only company that I know of that really supports Mac and not just half ass like other companies do. My laptop is critical to me, all my work and really my life is on it, if I lose it I am soooooo screwed hense the requirement to have a decent backup solution for it.

As for your hardware compatibility list, its nice to have but the solutions listed there really aren't for personal solutions. 3/4 of the products it lists are too expensive for a single backup or their media is just too expensive for "personal" backup solutions. With laptops my external connections are limited so I can't go out and just buy any tape drive, the only options for tape drives that were in the list that I could use were firewire drives from Lacie and Onstream but each use tapes that cost 100 CAD each. Other solutions that you list just aren't sold anymore.

Then there is the fact that you don't even list products that come bundled with your software. Does that mean that drive doesn't work with your software? I am refering to the Personal Storage 5000XT from Maxtor.

Anyways I know its not plesant to read/receive these sort of comments ( I did this sort of work in the past ) but someone has to raise a flag. Apple doesn't list drive models on their web site so if you are going to say that you support Apple's Superdrive either you or Apple must clear up this issue, telling your users that such and such superdrive isn't compatible or supported at this time.

For the time being I have purchased an external Lacie D2 Hard disk todo my backups on, even though its not listed on the compatibility list. It seems to be working correctly but I really want my superdrive supported so that I can take critical stuff to another location for safe keeping.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you post the link where it is stated that all Apple internal drives are supported? I'd be more then happy to have that fixed - however, I'm unable to find that information. At one time, we supported all current Apple internal drives, and that information was published at the time. However, Apple has since released new drives that have not yet passed our qualification testing. We list all supported drives in the Hardware Search Engine -- this will always be the most up to date source of information.

Hardware Search Engine

I'm a long-term Retrospect user, but I'm mightily disappointed by Dantz over this PowerBook issue.

The SuperDrive PowerBooks appeared in November last year. It's now the end of January and there's STILL no Retrospect support. I've sent countless e-mails and phone calls to Dantz tech support and received the same anodyne response every time: "not currently supported; no clue as to when support will be available" (indeed, the guys I spoke to one the 'phone seemed pretty clueless about the new PowerBooks - so much for the "working closely with Apple" line put out by Dantz).

I suspect that we'll end up having to fork out for yet another upgrade (Macintosh version 6?) before we can even USE this product on our machines.

Come on Dantz: the PowerBooks are the world's best-known laptops and very high-profile products. If you can't support them, then why should we ever bother to upgrade from you again?

We are aware that it takes a very long time to qualify/add support for new devices (longer then we would like too). Dantz is hoping to make the process much easier in our next product release, allowing us to more easily add support for new CD-R type devices. Keep an eye out.

As far as drivers, Dantz releases a "driver update" that is free to existing customers about once a month, adding support for new hardware. The next update should be out in February. Is this drive supported in the next update, I don't know just yet.

A very simple thing Dantz can do to make the above customers (and myself, a purchaser of brand new PB with SuperDrive and equally disappointed in Retrospect's lack of support for it) a little happier would be to provide some way for people to be automatically notified by email when that support for a particular device is available.

When I called your tech support about my PB SuperDrive, the rep commented that you've been getting tons of requests to support that device. Yes, I want Retrospect to function seamlessly with my SuperDrive, so I understand that the driver should be developed and tested with attention to detail, as long as that may take. And even though it's annoying, I understand that you can't even give us a ballpark, "promise we won't hold you to it" clue of when it will be supported. But at least don't make all of us continue to check back week after week, month after month, to find nothing.

Jason

Quote:

provide some way for people to be automatically notified by email when that support for a particular device is available.

It's a great suggestion and we are looking at ways to implement automatic notification for these types of issues.

The "Read Me" file dated 11/04/02 that came with the Express 5.0 upgrade specifically states that Express supports the Apple Superdrive. I guess I'll download the Toast upgrade and go back to that ridiculous format! At least I can backup. Very disappointed!

I too have been sorely disappointed with Dantz's lack of support of for the Ti PowerBook drives. I have long depended on Retrospect for backing up my hoary Mac clones at home. Now, having been fortunate enought to snag a 15 in PowerBook I cannot back it up. I understand that Apple can turn to any supplier, forcing you all to play catch-up. But several months is far too long for such a popular system.

Please add me to the list of folks to be alerted when you can support the Matshita DVD-R UJ-815 D0C4.

John

• 1 month later...

Just want to say that I bought Retrospect yesterday and I'm very disappointed to see that the UJ-815 DVD writer in my Powerbook is not supported.

I didn't see any clear mention on your web site about possible compatibilty issues with standard Apple hardware (what's more standard than a stock laptop?), just "DVD writer supported" or something. You should at least put some warnings about this issues more visibly on your web site.

Hopefully this will be solved quickly (and yes I subscribed to the drivers update mailing list, thanks) but in the meantime my first contact with your company is very disappointing.

Hi!

My answer (already posted to another thread "New Driver Update Supports added Apple devices" here in "Device and Hardware Compatibility-Mac OS X":

I own a PowerBook 15.2" 1GHz with MATSHITA SD UJ-815, bought in March 03, and last night I was able to manage a backup of almost 8 GB of data from the internal HD on two DVD-Rs 4.7. So what did I do wrong?

Apple System Profiler: (updated to) Mac OS X 10.2.4 (6I32). PowerBook3,5 (version = 3.3) BootROM 4.5.3f2 with MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815 vers. D0C4 (completely supported)

Retrospect Express 5.0.238 (Driver Update 3.4.103): "Panasonic DVD-R, Atapi-A" (Available storage devices) and "Atapi-A/MATSHITA/DVD-R UJ-815/D0C4/Panasonic DVD-R (5.01)" (Device Status: ID/Vendor/Product/Version/Driver).

Haven´t received any comments yet.

Did you update to version 5.0.238 with driver 3.4.103?

bye

manfred

I imagine it's similar to drivers that Dantz loads for supported devices. Just becuase Retrospect recognizes a drive, that doesn't mean that it's supported. Recognition makes it easier for us to add future support, but only drives that have been tested and have passed qualification are officially supported.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Yes I can only agree that it's a big disipointment not to se the Matushiba Superdrive UJ-815 supported with Retrospect. This was one of the big reasons that I bought Norton Systemworks (which boundles Retrospect). I can only hope that the crue at Dantz' is aming to fix this in the near future.

I would also like to be notified when Retrospect supports the UJ-815 Superdrive.

/iPelle

pelle.akermark@telia.com

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a 12 in TiBook with a UJ-815 drive and Retrospect Express 5.0.238 and have not been able to backup onto a CD-R or CD-RW disk. Retrospect recognizes the disk but when the backup starts, Retrospect ejects the disk. The system profiler identifies the disk as a DVD-R device, although it will burn multiple formats. It is possible to use this device and version of retrospect to backup onto a CD-R or CD-RW disk?

Thanks

This drive does not support DVD-RW media. CD-R, CD-RW, HS CD-RW, DVD-R is supported.

This drive is supported on Mac OS X only. Firmware revision DOCB is required for proper functionality with Retrospect. To check your firmware version, go to Configure > Devices > Device status and check the version column.

It also requires Retrospect Driver Update 3.5.104 or higher

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/updates.dtml

Archived