Zero length folder names

I have an AppleShare IP 6.3.3 system (on OS 9.1) that I am backing up with my desktop Mac running OS X 10.2.3 using Retrospec 5.0.238 with driver update 3.1.105. I log in to the desktop Mac as root and mount the server volumes using AFP to get around the AppleShare IP interaction/crash problems.

In the Retrospect log, during the scan every one of the server volumes reports that in the root of that volume there is a file with a bad name length: 0. If I proceed with the backup, I get a 'Can't read file "", error -1409 (unknown), path: "/"'. On each volume, is the same name as the volume name.

Neither Disk FirstAid or Norton reports problems on these volumes. None of my OS X or OS 9 file utilities sees a file/folder with a zero length name. However, if I go to a Windows NT PC and browse the AppleShare IP volumes, each one of them shows an unnamed folder with Hidden and System attributes.

I have tried renaming and/or deleting the offending files from the Windows side, and I get some error about "The path is too deep".

Every one of the volumes reports this problem - even ones that users don't have access to. Otherwise, I might have thought that some user had created them.

Any thoughts on this problem?

Michael Christian

Archived