pitonds eats up all cpu time

Did anybody noticed similar?

I have Retro Worgroup running on a G4 X 10.2.3. I started a full backup, but at some moment I had to stop the process. It stated cancel execution (it did), compress catalog etc. All looked fine. When I went to the client computer (PBG4 also X 10.2.3) I noticed pitond was hogging 100% of the CPU. Tried again to verify (after reboot to make sure proper starting condition), and it reproduced. It looks it could not really stop the client side. Client is 5.0.540 which should be pretty recent.

Is this a known issue and if so can it be cured?

cheers

Bela

I posted the same problem. The person I talked to at Dantz said that is was NOT a known issue and that it would cost me money to talk to a tech. I told them I wanted to report it to a tech as a bug, but they help the party line. I'm glad that the problem is repeatable by someone else. I only have this issue with OS X 10.2.3. My clients jump to 100% utilization making the computer disfunctional, because the backup is completed, but the client still hogs the cpu.

George Harris

This is an issue that our Development department is aware of. I apologize for misinformation given by the Customer Service department - I'll make sure they are made aware of the problem. They are not a technical department and they don't always have complete information on known issues. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Rest assured that any paid calls that come through to Technical Support that turn out to be known issues, or result in finding a problem with the software, are promptly refunded.

We will post information to the forum when available on this issue. Thank you for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anything been done by Dantz to fix the problems with retrospect client process Pitond?

i.e. 1- Pitond sometime starts using all the CPU time

2- Pitond use everyday more and more RAM. At day seventeen after reboot, Pitond is using 200MB in my Mac OS 10.2 server. I had to increase my RAM to 1.5GB to have some stability while using the retrospect client to backup my server.

Archived