Always offer erase option for new tape

plstm

I'm four tapes into a large backup when Retrospect asks for a new tape. I insert one. Retrospect tells me it's unrecognized and ejects it without letting me erase it. OK, it was used with my previous backup program and isn't blank. All the tapes I have on hand were used with the old backup program.

I can't run NT Backup to erase some tapes because Retrospect is using the drive.

What are my choices now?

1. Drive to the store and buy some new tapes?

2. Drive 20 miles home and use my drive there to erase some tapes, then drive back?

3. Kill the backup, losing 8 hours work, erase some tapes and start over?

Ugly choices.

Retrospect should ALWAYS offer an erase option when requesting a new tape.

++PLS

R has unloaded the tape and is displaying the device window asking for a new or any erased tape. The device window says that the drive contains "No tape". At this point I insert a tape that was last used with NT backup. The tape will load, R will read the start of the tape. The device window will change to say "Unrecognized" The tape will immediately be unloaded and the device window will go back to "No tape". There is no opportunity to use the right click menu to erase the tape.

It's really irrational. If I insert a tape from a different, active, R backup set, which I probably never want to erase, I will get the opportunity.

++PLS

You mentioned that Retrospect "...has unloaded the tape and is displaying the device window asking for a new or any erased tape." Retrospect at this point wants a New or erased tape. I see what you mean by at this point it would be nice to be able to put in any tape and have the option to erase the tape. I logged this as a suggestion.

Since Retrospect is looking for a new or erased tape, the best approach would be to erase the used media before starting a backup. You can do this by going to Configure/Devices and erasing the media.

Archived