6.0 client crashes on WinXP after bootup/login

bjames

I am experiencing a Retrospect client crash, and haven't figured out how to report it to Dantz nor

how to work around it. This is a 5-week-old Restrospect installation, so I just missed the 30-day

support window (which I didn't know about until I started trying to report this problem :-( ).

Retrospect version is 6.0.206, installed on a WinXP-Home client (fully up-to-date with MSFT patches).

When I boot the WinXP and first log in, the Retrospect client posts a dialog telling me that the system

has not been backed up since . This is correct - I have only backed up this client

one time, when I first installed the Restrospect client.

While that dialog box is posted, with no user action, another dialog appears a second or two later:

Restrospect has encountered a problem and needs to

close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The problem is complete repeatable.

I don't know exactly when the problem started. The user of the computer (my 8th-grader) is not good

about reporting problems when they are first observed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Beau

Sorry for the delayed response.

I went back to my son's computer this afternoon to try your suggestion. Today, the problem did not happen.

I rebooted several times, and logged in as different users. Each time today, I got the warning about

"no backup since ...", but that was all - the Retrospect client kept running without problem, and I

eventually did a new full backup of his system.

---

On Monday, when I made this posting, I had tried rebooting several times, and had tried logging in as

several different users. Each time, I got the "no backup since ..." warning and then the Retrospect client

would crash a few seconds later, as described in the posting.

*I* did nothing on his system between Monday night and Friday afternoon.. Retrospect was untouched.

I have no idea what cured the problem. (I sure wish I did!)

The only change that I could see that he had made on the system, between Monday night and Friday

afternoon, was to reinstall or update AOL Instant Messenger. Not sure how that could have had anything

to do with Retrospect no longer crashing, but it was the only application change I could find on his

system.

Anyway ... Retrospect is working now, thanks for your time.

Beau

Archived