Kernel Protection Failure

Dave!

So how much are you betting?

Does this mean we just wade through the fix_prebinding.crash.logs like so many alligators?

Granted... there is a lot funky stuff going on in OS X... some things get fixed, some things get worse. Does this mean that we all qualify as geeks, albeit not of the aristocracy, whether we want to or not?

I don't believe I signed up anywhere to debug Dantz/OSX/Adobe/SmithMicro/Microsoft/YouNameIt software. I signed up to buy software that works.

I try to make a living in the world that Dantz/OSX/Adobe/SmithMicro/Microsoft/YouNameIt created, but they make it very hard. And like the arrogant market bubble, their attitude toward their customers is ghostly, to say the least, and downright supercilious at best.

There are a few software companies that respond to the customer: Alsoft, Extensis, Smiles Software to name some. They extend a certain amount of handholding to the customer when he needs it - a must when the product is iffy, persnickity, buggy, and mostly unfinished, like a lot of what is going around now.

This fix_prebinding mess is a minor thing, an annoyance - like coming out every morning and finding [censored] in the same spot on your brand new Beemer. On my machine, it only happens with Retrospect, and only when scripts are scratched.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:

I signed up to buy software that works.

Are you sure?

I don't have the Retrospect license handy, but most software licensing agreements explicitly point out that the product _may_ contain bugs, and that the software publisher is not responsible for problems arising from the use of the product.

None of us has to participate in giving constructive feedback to the company (or the user community). But some of us find it amusing!

Dave

I have run Retrospect well for several months. Backup my computer and clients every day without a problem until the 10.2.4 update. Local backup works fine. BTW the error I get is -1028. I am having no problems other than this on the machine. Have not found a solution yet. I am leaving for 3 weeks next Monday so will not be able to work on things past this weekend. I have setup a 10.2.3 box to do the client backups while I am gone.

I only have 10 clients (10.2.3 and 10.2.4) so I do not knoe about OS 9 or MSWindows clients. I am not aware of what could be wrong with a machine that functions so well in other programs. Restart (cold or warm) does not seem to help. At this point (since I will be leaving for a while) All I can try is to reinstall retrospect and see. If it does not work I will have ro try to reinstall all the os update to 10.2.4 and install Retrospect and the othere programs I use. See what happens then. Sure is annoying. -- I did try to go to an older backup (from Jan 3) worked fine and again as soon as it was updated to 10.2.4 the box could no longer connect to clients.

OK, Dave! I admit it. You were right about the Mac OS fix. Good guru!

However, the caveat you refer to:

"I don't have the Retrospect license handy, but most software licensing agreements explicitly point out that the product _may_ contain bugs, and that the software publisher is not responsible for problems arising from the use of the product."

is a license for scoundrels to market vaporware, and a full frontal reflection of the dotcom bubble stance. I fully expect bugs... maybe I have made noises otherwise.... but I think most of us realize that the cyberworld is a work in progress like the rest of human endeavor.

But when software companies STOP talking to their customers, make it hard for them to find meaningful help, and just plain sell and bail, that is not being part of a cooperative effort. Too many software, hardware, anyware companies these days try to avoid involving live humans in the problem-solving process. These INCLUDE venerable names like Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, Dantz, SmithMicro, and more.

The sell us the stuff with hot promise, partially deliver, partially communicate about the problems involved with surviving that partial birth, and then withdraw behind a fortress of $$$$$$$, and make it hard for working people (as opposed to the geek aristocracy) to find solutions for their everyday CRISES.

The software companies need to make money, but they also need to make human contact more possible than they seem to be willing to try.

I totally appreciate the value of this forum. I came back today after being out of town, saw the notices about 10.2.4, downloaded it, and... no more fix_prebinding errors.... even when I approached the scripts.

So, thanks, Dave, and Amy. You do good work.

And thanks, Dantz, for providing the forum platform. I just wish it hadn't taken me 2 months to find it. tongue.gif

Archived