Server Restart Failure

RvA

Hello,

I have a SBS2K (Small Business Server 2000) with Pervasive.SQL 2000i SR3 running as the backend database for my company’s accounting software.

After installing Backup 6.0 Single Server this server will not shut down or restart, and the Pervasive Database will not start. Following the other posts I found I removed the Openfile option and the server will now restart and shutdown properly, but Pervasive will not start properly. Removing Backup from the server still leaves Pervasive in a state where it will not start. I have tired to remove Pervasive and reinstall it a few times but to no avail. Finally I formatted my servers boot drive and reinstalled my server (no small endeavor) and all is running well now, but I have no backup capabilities (this is not a good thing).

Also if I can use Backup again is there a fix for the Openfile option as I was going to purchase this.

Best regards,

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Given that there seems to be an acknowledged problem with OFB on W2K SP3, is there any way I can uninstall it now....

I'm getting crashes from Retrospect when backing up a certain script, and I'm suspicious of the OFB that I've got installed - especially now I know there's a known problem with it...

To get Windows to actually start up, I had to remove the 'roff.sys' file from the Winnt\system32\drivers directory using the recovery console, which makes it start OK, but now it crashes when a specific script is run, and I'm not sure if it's related.

Retrospect still seems to think that OFB is installed, so is there any way I can remove it 'properly'? I think that I've removed the 'Backup Open Files' option from all my backup scripts, but it still crashes, and I'm not sure if that's enough.

(I'm a bit peeved that OFB doesn't work, but unless it takes a LONG time to be fixed by Dantz I'm not classing that as a big problem - the big problem is the crashes even though I'm not using OFB...)

Just FYI,

I have Windows 2000 Server SP3 (5.00.2195) and Retrospect with all the addons possible, including OFB. This server hosts Active Directory DB as well as Exchange 2000. I don't have the problems you describe. (I have a big problem with the time it takes for the snapshot to complete but I digress...)

OFB requires plenty of disk space and RAM, make sure that you've got that covered. On the other hand I would never use OFB to backup live database nor I would trust such backup if it succeeded. Exchange 2000, SQL2000 and Pervasive2000 have facilities to do live backups and that should be used.

Mikee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived