New Retrospect Driver Update

Retrospect Driver Update for Retrospect 5.0 (Mac) version 3.3.104

New Drive Support Since Last Release

Dell PowerVault 122T LTO Autoloader

EZQuest Boa 52x24x52 FireWire Ext. (LTR-52246S version)

LaCie d2 AIT-1 U&I FireWire

LaCie d2 AIT-1 U&I USB2.0

LaCie d2 AIT-2 U&I FireWire

LaCie d2 AIT-2 U&I USB2.0

OnStream ADR2.60usb

OnStream ADR2.60se

OnStream ADR2.60si

OnStream ADR2.120se

OnStream ADR2.120si

OnStream ADR2.240sr

Panasonic DDS Backup Library LKM-SD21

Sony LIB-304/A2

Sony AITe90-UL

This update is available for download from:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/rdu33.sit

Amy,

Any word on the driver for the Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2212? This is the internal drive that comes with the Apple Dual USB iBook.

This is somewhat of a scandal -- we were encouraged by Dantz to pay to upgrade from Retrospect Express 4.3 to 5.0 so we could use Retrospect with Mac OS X.

Of course, OS X runs only on Apple computers, and Apple currently only makes about four models. Since there are only four models, shouldn't Retrospect 5.0 work with them?

Now I own expensive software that I can't use! We keep hearing from Dantz that the driver is coming "eventually". Any update on that?

Thanks,

Glen

Just FYI ... I'm running MacOS X 10.2.3 on a Powerbook G3 2000 (Pismo)/1GB/60GB through a Fastware BridgeIt! FW<->Ultra SCSI converter talking to an OnStream SC30e tape drive (I think running 1.0.6 of the firmware). This setup worked fine whereas attempting a backup through an Adaptec Powerdomain 1480 Cardbus card choked.

Anyway, I recently updated to to 10.2.3 and Retrospect 5.0 Driver Update 3.3.104 (Retro is at 5.0.238) and am doing a Recycle Backup to two cartridges.

The first cart goes fine, ejects, and requests the second cart. I insert the second cart and it completes the backup. Now it wants to do the compare run.

Retro puts up a dialog requesting the first tape, but does not eject the second volume. I manually hit the Eject button, then stick in the first volume. Retro runs the compare on the files contained in the first volume. Retro ejects the first volume, and requests the second volume.

A few seconds after inserting the second volume, Retro chokes with a -105 error (something about a premature end of file) and dies with an incomplete operation. Here's a log segment:

Device trouble: “2-PB G3 2”, error 105 (unexpected end of data).

12/28/2002 9:17:16 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 33202 files, 6.2 GB

Completed: 239875 files, 13.6 GB

Performance: 73.1 MB/minute (71.2 copy, 76.1 compare)

Duration: 12:29:50 (04:43:13 idle/loading/preparing)

This has happened three times, even after switching physical media for the second volume. I believe that it's possible that 3.3.104 has broken ADR multivolume tape processing. I'll be updating the firmware to 1.0.8 just in case to see if this fixes the problem.

-- Verne Arase

In reply to:

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2212

This drive failed qualification. There are no plans currently for future support. While many of the internal Apple drives are supported, there are a few that are not - some didn't meet our quality standards, and could not pass qualification as a result. We won't qualify a drive that will not reliably backup and restore your data.

For a complete list of supported drives, please see the

Hardware Search Enginecolor=blue>

You'll find a number of drives that are supported on the Macintosh - SCSI, Firewire, USB.

In reply to:

This is somewhat of a scandal -- we were encouraged by Dantz to pay to upgrade from Retrospect Express 4.3 to 5.0 so we could use Retrospect with Mac OS X.

This drive was not supported with 4.3 either. An upgrade was suggested to support your new choice of Operating System, and was not drive specific.

Thanks Amy, but this ain't exacty true!

When I called Dantz to ask about my backup problems, the support rep asked me which computer model I had, and I told them. I don't think they did anything malicious, but I DO think they should have said, "By the way, if you pay for this upgrade, it will run OS X, but it WON'T work with your computer -- you'll need to buy another external drive!" (Or at the very least, "Which drive is in that model? I'll check the compatability.") I hate to invest $150 in a new drive just to get software to work! I should have been more aware -- the exact same thing happened with my PREVIOUS iBook -- I upgraded Retrospect, but the drive wasn't supported by Dantz for months!

When I called Dantz about this problem, one rep told me that Dantz was working on a new driver for my latest iBook. One rep told me that the drive had failed, and would NEVER be supported. A Dantz support manager said, "WHO TOLD YOU THAT IT WOULD NEVER BE SUPPORTED? THAT'S NOT TRUE," and that they were working on it.

Very dissapointing.

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a Sony LIB-152/A2 tape library with Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238 on OS X 10.2.3. I have to set the library to emulate a Spectra 10000 for Retrospect to see it. Will Dantz add support for the Sony LIB-152 as a Sony? I don't know what the actual differences are between running in Spectra emulation or not (Sony's so-called "documentation" doesn't cover that), but that library is *dog slow* at changing tapes right now. Would running in Sony mode help that? And will Dantz ever implement that?

Thanks,

Bob

--

Bob Hayes

Systems Administrator

Artbeats Digital Film Library

bob@artbeats.com

http://www.artbeats.com

(541) 863-4429

Alas, not true. If I set the LIB-152 to Sony mode, Retrospect doesn't see it as a library so there's no way to load tapes. Presumably if I stuck a tape in the drive by hand, it might work, but I've never tried that. The only way to see it as a library is in Spectra 10000 emulation.

Bob

--

Bob Hayes

Systems Administrator

Artbeats Digital Film Library

bob@artbeats.com

http://www.artbeats.com

(541) 863-4429

Archived