Error 102 - Revisited

FuzzyJohn

My original post for this problem is Error -102 (Trouble Communicating). Please refer to that post if you want to see some of the Retrospect logs.

Computer:

- Stratus, fully redundant (4 CPUs, RAID)

Operating System:

- Windows 2000 Advanced Server

The drive (from device properties in Retrospect:

- Sony DAT DDS-DC

- Vendor: SONY

- Product: SDT-10000

- Revision: 02n5

Note here that when I look at the drive properties in the Windows 2000 Device Manager, I see Bus 0, ID 4, LUN 0.color=red>

The problem is that I am getting Error -102 messages at various stages when I am trying to backup the C: partition (operating system). So far I never got these messages while backing up the E: partition.

Stratus, the computer manufacturer has checked all connections and terminators and found everything to be in working order.

Stratus also confirmed that the Sony tape drive is connected to Bus 0, ID 4, not to Bus 4, ID 4color=red> as indicated by Retrospect.

Since the operating system is Windows 2000, Retrospect uses the NT Passthrough by default. According to the Retrospect User's Guide, ASPI is not required for Windows NT/2000/XP.

We did not move this drive to another computer. We did not try a different drive in this computer. But, since I have performed SEVERAL backups of this system using the Windows Backup program in Windows 2000 without any errors (except for the open files), and all of these backups also verified, I am confident that the drive is NOT defective.

Unfortunatelly my boss gave me a deadline for today to either get Retrospect running on this very critical application that currently does not have a backup, or to return the whole package and look somewhere else. I recommended Retrospect over other backup solutions based on the good experience I have had with your program ever since version 5.1 when I started using it.

John Castravet

Port Authority of NY & NJ

Communications, Security and Electronics Group

Public Safety Department

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

I have tweeked arround with my SCSI and ATAPI adapters (although there is not much I can do). I am using Windows 2000 with the latest service pack on one machine and Windows XP on two notebooks. I am dealing with SCSI and ATAPI interfaces.

Termination is OK, drivers are up to date, no events in the Event Viewer. Everything running like a charm but Retrospect.

Reading your posts and some other of your older posts makes me believe that two is not an isolated problem, and four even less. Why on four different machines the same 102 error?

bhaidacher,

In my case Stratus was able to change some settings or configuration on a SCSI card (they would not elaborate what) and sent me the card to replace the one in the system. This solved the problem and I have Retrospect running without a problem for over a week now.

John

Archived