client locking up

EricBergan

I'm running pro 6.x, backing up several clients. All has been going well for many months. Today, one computer now hangs when its first volume is finished backing up. Retrospect shows that it is "Closing" the volume. I've tried this several times, and using TaskManager, I can see that on the client machine, at the moment it hangs, the only thing running is retroclient.exe.

I had installed DirectX 9 on this machine, so I used system restore to go back to a prior save point, but the problem remains.

Any suggestions, or things to try, to resolve this? Thanks.

Eric

What Operating System? Which version of the client?

Try running a disk utility on the drive to look for corruption.

Update / reinstall NIC drivers and TCP/IP protocols

Try a cross-over cable directly between the server and the client

Make sure no other applications are running during backup (disable Anti-Virus or Utility software)

Both the client and server on running on Win XP Pro. The client version is 6.0, as is the server (latest build).

I've managed to work around the problem - my machine came with some software from ProactivIT that monitors process failures. I disabled that, and now backups run properly again on that client. Since the ProactivIT software had been on there for the last year while everything was running properly, it's not clear what suddenly changed, or why the client was causing the ProactivIT software to activate. (Maybe the breakpoint mentioned by the earlier post?)

Anyway, I've resolved the problem for now. Thanks.

Eric

Last Monday (the 23rd) we had 6.0 clients consistently crashing on Win2K Professional with the hardcoded breakpoint error mentioned above, and at least one 6.0 client crash in a similar fashion under WinXP. I tried a myriad experimental backups with one problematic Win2K client, even disabling snapshots, and in all cases the client would crash after the backup was complete (the server would just time out during the "Closing" phase).

Since backups were complete before the client crash occurred, there was no loss or corruption of backed up data--but no further backups of that client could take place until the client or client machine itself were restarted.

However, since the 23rd, so far as I can tell, we've not had any more 6.0 client crashes of this nature. There have been no changes whatsoever in hardware or software configurations of the affected machines (the only thing that's changed is the date). It's something I'm keeping an eye on though--right now I'm a little wary of the 6.0 client under Win2K or WinXP because of the problems we had on the 23rd.

We recently discovered an issue with the 6.0 client that caused crashes on NT/2000/XP clients on 12/23/2002. The script date was being seen as a date in 2003 and was being converted to a negative number, which caused an illegal operation.

We are investigating these issues, which are specific to scripts which were run on 12/23/2002.

Archived