Suggestion: Open File Backup

JohnA

Hi,

I noticed that Open File Backup is available only as a ~600.00 add-on. Just a suggestion, but other backup programs such as the Microsoft NTBackup applet as well as Veritas/Stomp (with their standard Backup Exec software) provide this feature for Windows XP users since it uses the standard XP Volume Shadow Copy service. If I was running a NTFS file system (necessary for Volume Shadow Copy), I would consider this a grave deficiency in the current Professional 6 product that it couldn't utilize this standard XP service to backup open files without the expensive add-on. Thanks for listening.

Take care,

John

Since I have not attempted to perform a full system restore yet, I am apprehensive that some busy system files might have been missed at the last backup. Does Retrospect 6 actually bypass and not log the files that were busy? If this is so, how can one expect to achieve a total system restore at the most critical moment?

Buying the $600 Busy File upgrade is out of the question!

Is there a work-around that anyone has used to gain some much need confidence that they can get their system back 100%?

WMM

Hi Wileym,

The traditional work-around is to kill all applications so there are no busy files. Unfortunately, that is not always possible or convenient.

In my case, the files that are busy do appear to be unnecessary. So I stay with my FAT32 system which is significantly faster than NTFS even though it is not as reliable. But if I had NTFS, I would feel cheated that I couldn't backup open files without a 600 add-on given that the competition has no problem backing them up.

Take care,

John

The Open-File add-on is designed for our Server product line, and is not available for the Professional edition. Multi-volume Open File Backup allows files to be backed up even if they are opened and being used. This is important to ensure proper backup of line-of-business application servers which are up and running 24 hours a day such as Exchange, SQL Server™, customer relationship management applications, and accounting packages.

Retrospect 6.0 Professional is able to back up most open files, including active system and applications files. If Windows Explorer can copy an open file, then Retrospect can back it up. Programs that have files which cannot be backed up while in use must be closed for proper backup.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply... now contrast this to other backup products such as Backup MyPC and the NTBackup applet (standard on Windows XP) which do open file backup using the Volume Shadow service on Windows XP. The bottom line is that someone with Retrospect Professional cannot backup open files that cannot be read. The others can. The standard Microsoft Volume Shadow service allows these applications to backup files in use by taking a snapshot of the file... the caveat of course is that you need a NTFS partition. So I'm merely suggesting that it might make the product more competitive if this feature was standard.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that starting up Dantz Retrospect started up the Volume Shadow service. If I had a NTFS partition, I wonder if Retrospect would use the Volume Shadow service and backup busy files anyway...

Take care,

John

I noticed that too (Volume Shadow Copy service being started with Retrospect. Another post will describe the issue I was investigating. I'm running RP6 w/o OFB on an XP Pro SP1 system.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7035

Date: 12/18/2002

Time: 4:38:35 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: MYPC

Description:

The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

AmyC's comment is likely incorrect; the System account (under which Retrospect and the Client runs) is more priveleged on the local system than any user account, including Administrator or members of Administrators. Thus, your account's access to files via Windows Explorer may be *less* capable in a few cases than Retrospect's access. However...

I would like to see Dantz address the issue of the shadow copy service vs. their open file add-in. AmyC's reply seems to be a copy & paste of boilerplate brochure text that is not very helpful.

And I've wondered the same thing as you guys, myself.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Archived