Disk Duplicate and "all files" selector

Randyh

Does anyone know how to get a duplicate (instead of backup) to copy the entire disk?

My DOS based sector-by-sector duplicate does not work anymore. I have a spare drive on my main server that I like to simply duplicate too from the main drive once a week. The main drive has all the backup sets from other computers besides other useful information. With backups, the main drive is using 40 to 50GB (depending on the last recycle). When I do a duplicate (whether recycle or not) from the main drive to the backup, I only get about 1/3 of the space duplicated. Many files are missing; the most important being all the backup sets (.rbc and their corresponding directories; .rbf seem to get copied). There are no errors from the operation in the log. I am using the "all files" selector. Any ideas?

The tutorial is the same as the manual. It is pretty basic.

The first indication that not all files are copied is the duplicated disk is >30GB smaller than the original (>50GB versus 18GB). A simple "explore" of the two disks side by side shows that many files are missing. BTW, the Operations Log shows the duplicate completes. Also, I have all verification turned on and compression off. I have "replace entire volume" selected and am using the "all files" selector.

Digging further, I have now found the second drive I duplicate too is reporting an internal error with immenent failure when the drive's hardware diagnostic is run. This is only reported by the firmware at boot time but flashes by so quick as to not be detectable. Windows ME thinks the disk is fine; scandisk (even extended) checks out fine.

With this new information, it appears the disk is not providing a robust storage medium. But why would DANTZ not catch this and report an error in the log. Instead, it reports that the verification completed. I tried a duplicate again and it claimed to do a check of all files and only need to copy ~200MB and then verified that everything is OK -- again, no error. Does this imply that the program only checks the and verifies the "log" entries in the catalog between the two disks and not the medium itself?

In reply to:

The first indication that not all files are copied is the duplicated disk is >30GB smaller than the original (>50GB versus 18GB).

What is the file system on the source drive? Get Properties on the drive itself in WinExplorer

What is the file system on the destination drive?

In Retrospect, go to Backup > Duplicate. Set your Source and Destination. Click on Files Chosen. Look for files (not folders) with diamond symbols next to the name. Any file with a diamond symbol exactly matches the file on the destination, in the same location. After running a duplicate, do you see a number of files without diamonds? Files that, as you mentioned, were not duplicated?

Go to Configure > Selectors. Edit your All Files selector. If it says _anything_ expect:

Include everything

and Exclude nothing

then a user has edited the built-in selector and it will no longer work as intended. Delete any modifications made to this selector.

Archived