Restrospect Client & Multiple Ethernet Adapters

pmurgy

For the benefit of everyone, I was trying to set up three computers (all desktops, Win XP Pro). One of the desktops has two Network Cards in it (One for LAN, One for Cable Modem).

Desktop 1 -> Retrospect Server, 1 NIC

Desktop 2 -> Retrospect Client, 1 NIC

Desktop 3 -> Retrospect Client, 2 NICs

From Desktop 1 I was able to see Desktop 2, but the Retrospect Server refused to find Desktop 3 on the LAN (all NICs in the same subnet, fixed IP Addresses). I followed the instructions in the Dantz Knowledge Base, which told me to change the registry entry "BindListener" value from "0.0.0.0" to the fixed IP Address for the client.

This had no effect. Norton Firewall kept informing me that Retrospect Client was trying to access the Internet (The Multicast on port 497 of the 224.1.0.38 address). I could "Ping" the Retrospect Client on Desktop 3 from Desktop 1 using the "Test..." function, but the client just refused to show up in the list, which meant there was no way to add it.

So, here is my workaround:

1) Go into the "Control Panel" in Windows on the Restrospect Client machine (Desktop 3 in my case), and choose the "Network Connections"

2) Right Click the NIC that connects to the "Cable Modem" (or DSL, other network etc)

3) Choose "Disable"

4) Open the "Services" Applet, and stop the "Retrospect Client" service, then restart it

5) On your Retrospect Server, go to "Configure -> Clients" and click on "Add..."

6) The previously missing client is now visible. Select it and Add it to the Backup Client Database

7) Re-enable the NIC that you disabled in step 3

8) All is well - the Retrospect Server now knows where to find the Client, even though it will not show up in the "Live Network" dialog box.

I managed to narrow my problem down to WinGate. When it receives the Multicast to the 224.1.0.38 address on port 497, the "Cable Modem" NIC appears first in the routing table, so the packet gets forwarded to the Internet Network Gateway instead of the LAN, hence the Retrospect Server can't see it. Of course, if Retrospect Professional allowed you manually enter the name of the client then all would be solved, but it would seem we have to buy an expensive Server license for that :-(

You might be able to get around this my simply changing the Binding order of the NICs from the "Networks and Dial-up Connections" in Windows. I think that in my case, WinGate causes a few problems that the Binding order does not change.

Regards,

Paul

Archived