Help! Backing Up over a LAN

I have 2 Macs (both OS 9).

The G3 is used as a game & FTP server. The G4 is my primary Mac. The G4 has Retrospect Desktop 5 installed, is connected to an external Firewire drive, and is connected to a Netgear router/switch/firewall.

When running Retrospect Desktop 4.3 on the G4, I could back up the G3 over the LAN.

After Upgrading to Retrospect Desktop version 5, I get an error -37 (invalid Name) as Retrospect is scanning the files on the G3 over the LAN. According to the Knowledgebase, on a Mac this indicates that I have a file with a name that is too long for OS 9 to handle. This would be fine except that I have no idea how to find the file with the long name. The log in Retrospect tells me nothing useful.

I could really use some help here. Do I now need to buy/install a client on the G3 in order to back it up over the LAN? I didn't need a client with Retrospect 4.3.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Yes, OS X is on an internal drive in my G4 along with OS 9 on a second (and 3rd) drive. The "server" I'm trying to duplicate over the LAN only has one drive in it which is running OS 9.

I finally figured out how to connect over TCP/IP instead of AppleTalk because someone in another forum told me that AppleTalk wasn't supported in Retro 5.

Anyway, I tried duplicating the Server drive on the G3 from Retrospect desktop 5 in OS X. Now I don't get the stupid -37 invalid name error, instead, it duplictes nothing and then tells me that the execution was completed successfully. I'll try it from OS 9 next.

Many thanks again!

Jim

Ok, I tried it from OS 9 and I get the -37 (invalid name) error again. So, trying to duplicate the mounted drive in the G3 over TCP/IP just isn't happening.

Would buying a client fix this problem, and also allow me to restore the drive with all of its correct privaledges (as you mentioned in another post). If so, I'll just buy a client and be done with it.

Is this my best option?

Thanks again

Jim

The problem is that OS 9 can't handle the long file names in the UNIX-based Mac OS X. Here are your possible solutions:

1. Stick with 4.3 and, instead of backing up/duplicating the *entire* drive, only go though and manually define the subvolumes that you need to back up.

2. Upgrade to 5.0 Desktop plus 1 client. The client software will be able to handle the long file names (actually, the 4.3 client can do it too), where filesharing through 9 can't. This is the best long-term solution, especially if you ever plan on working under OS X on either machines.

Hope this helps!

Getting a Client fixed it! Yes, I mounted it using Retrospect as described.

One final question (we both hope), When configuring the client via Retrospect Desktop, I have a pop-up menu under the "General" tab that gives me 3 choices: "Client Desktop"; "Startup Volume"; or "Selected Volumes".

What's the difference?

Thanks!

Jim

Archived