I am running the following config.

MacOS Xserve with Mac OS X Server 10.2.2

512 MB RAM

240 GB HD RAID 0 Mirror

ATTO SCSI Card (BTO from APPLE)

8Pac PEAK/MaxOptix Storage Library AIT 2

I am having a serious problem with my tapes (6 of them over two different backup sets) coming up as 'Empty' when i KNOW that they are not. I can backup my server, take a tape out, put it back in and Retrospect will bring it up as erased. I have restarted the machine many times, replaced the SCSI cable, the SCSI Terminator, changed SCSI ID's and even went as far as to replace the whole tape library unit but to no avail. i have still have the same problems and am seriously worried that i cannot trust Retropect as my critical backup solution. I have been using Retrospect for many years and have NEVER had these problems.

Please let me know if you have anything that i can try to get Retrospect working properly. i HAVE checked the the compatibility lists and all of my hardware is supported.

-erik Kulvinskas

OK all, I am posting this as i think this is a community where we should share our successes as well as our problems. After banging my head against a wall for weeks with my problem as described in the previous message in this thread, i bit the bullet and paid the $70 bucks to call Dantz about my problem.

Eric was the person who helped me. He was very kind and patient and had the following advice for me with my configuration. Tape libraries like mine have two SCSI id's: one for the actual tape drive and one for the changer mechanism. Eric suggested that i have my SCSI id's three id's apart. So i put the drive as ID 2 and the mechanism as ID 5, restarted my machine and have not had any problems since. Sure its early but already the tape drive is behaving as it should. My tapes are not longer coming up as unrecognized or erased. Thank you Eric and i hope that i can spread the $70 around in this forum to benefit everyone

One thing though, the fact that Retrospect 'likes' to have the SCSI ID's for tape libraries 3 a part SHOULD be published in a manual or the site somewhere!! It would have saved me a lot of time and a few less grey hairs! I'll keep you all posted how it's going.

-VB

Archived