can I back up an OS X mac (regular os x, not an os x server) to Retrospect running on an OS 9 mac? I can't find this info anywhere (I looked all over the Dantz site, its forums, and the knowledgebase isn't answering)

We currently run Retrospect Network Backup v4.x, and we'd like to upgrade so we can backup the OS Xs on our network. Its an older powermac with a SCSI DAT drive, and cannot be upgraded to os x.

I found the following in the Retrospect v5 Readme posted at dantz.com but its confusing to me.....

Mac OS X Compatibility Notes

General: To back up or restore a local Mac OS X computer, Retrospect must be running under Mac OS X. Retrospect running on OS 9 can back up and restore OS X clients using Retrospect Client software.

To repeat: Can I backup an os x computer (and restore it) from an os 9 mac, assuming I have the latest clients on the os x's and Retrospect Wkgp version 5 on os 9?

You cannot fully back up an OS X system (locally) when Retrospect is running under OS 9. OS X permissions, which OS X needs to function, are only acessible when OS X is actually running. That means a backup done under OS 9 can't get any of those privileges, and isn't a full backup.

The application running under 9 backing up a client that is running in X will work just fine.

Here's a note from the Common Questions section of our site:

If the computer is booted into OS 9, Retrospect will not have access to OS X file permissions or system information. To properly backup computers with OS X, you must be booted into OS X at the time of the backup, which will allow full backups of all OS X and OS 9 data.

General: To back up or restore a local Mac OS X computer, Retrospect must be running under Mac OS X. -- This refers to doing a backup locally, not as a client across the network.

Retrospect running on OS 9 can back up and restore OS X clients using Retrospect Client software. -- This refers to backing up across the network.

So, yes, you can run Retrospect 5.0 on an OS 9 system backing up an OSX client successfully.

Hope this helps.

so Irena says no, twovoltz says yes.

If I read the replies and the faqs/newsreleases etc, and interpret 'local' meaning 'that particular mac" (the one running Retrospect is also the one being backed up, ie backing itself up) it starts to make sense.

However in my case we are talking network backups: a 'remote' OS X mac and a completely different OS 9 mac. Is Irena telling me that the ONLY way to fully back up an OS X is to another (or the same) OS X Mac?

Archived