pioneer DVD 105 or A05

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Retrospect Device: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 1.00 Pioneer DVD/CD-RW (5.01)

I recently purchased an external Pioneer DVR 105 from OWC and connected it to our small network's backup computer, an upgraded Beige G3 (max RAM, firewire card and G4 processor running 9.2.1) with a WangDAT tape drive. The DVR drive works flawlessly with Toast. I am also using Retrospect, but the old tape drive is deteriorating so I decided to change to DVD. Though the hardware database as of 02/22/03 says the 105 is not supported. I 'm using Retrospect 5.0238 and RDU 3.4, which recognizes the 105.

I created a new DVD backup set for two notebooks, also running 9.2.1, inserted an unbranded DVD-R disc that came with the drive, and ran a backup. It backed up both laptops in a few hours (tens of thousands of files) and did a compare of the first laptop quickly, reporting a performance of 22+mb per mintue. But after it finished backing up the second laptop and started doing a compare, it fell into a swamp, crawling ever more slowly, down to a reported 1.3mb per minute and eighteen plus hours of comparing until I stopped it. The log showed thousands of errors relating to "bad media" or "dirty heads".

Though I used similar media with Toast, would this happen because the drive is not supported? If it is the media, what DVD brands would you recommend? Finally, I have been using a tape drive for years over wireless to do backups but I wonder if the wireless network could be a problem with optical disk backup?

Thanks.

BlinkyM

PS: When I installed (rather than upgraded to) 5.0.238 from 5.0.205, I was chagrined to find that Retrospect installed a 3.1 hardware driver over 3.4, so I had to re-install 3.4.

This drive is not yet supported for use with Retrospect. For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

Hardware Search Engine

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

• 4 months later...

As of today the Pioneer DVR-105 (Apple version) is supported by Retrospect 5.0 with RDU 3.3.104 and later.

Only DVD-R and DVD-RW media is supported with this drive and Retrospect. CD-R and CD-RW media is not supported for use with Retrospect. Dantz recommends using Apple branded DVD-R media with this drive.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Your last post in this thread stated that only the Apple version of the drive is supported but on your hardware compatibility list these drives are listed:

Pioneer DVR-103 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-104 ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-104 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-104 (Compaq version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-105 ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-105 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-106 ATAPI DVD RW

Pioneer DVR-A04 ATAPI DVD-RW

I have an external firewire Pioneer DVR-105. Since I have the latest RDU drivers and it still doesn't appear under the Retrospect configuration menu (though other applications can access and write to it), why isn't it supported?

Thanks,

Blinky

Archived