Cannot recreate catalog

Pilaar39

I am having mega problems recreating my catalog file.

A while ago, I took a complete backup onto about 10 CDs. Then I upgraded my OS (formatting my HD), resulting in the loss of my catalog file. I have been trying to recreate this catalog, but just cannot.

I seem to be getting random read errors and/or hangs when moving from one CD to the next. This happens randomly: it has happened on disk 2 through disk 6. I have attempted to recreate this catalog about 15 times now!

At first I thought it might be my CRW Drive, a Yamaha CRW 2100E. So, I took it back to Yamaha, and they replaced it with a CRW 3200E drive. And guess what? Same problem.

I thought maybe it may be the media, but since it has happened on about 5 different CDs, I somehow doubt that. I am more leaning to the fact that the CDs were created with Retrospect proprietary writing format (these CDs are not readable by the OS directly), and the software just cannot read the CDs correctly.

Are there any known problems in this area?

Is it possible to recover files from the backup set without the catalog file? If so, how?

I am using Retrospect Professional Upgrade edition, version 6.0.206

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Paul Leduc

Have you tried creating a new backup set or does the problem only occur on this older backup set? Which version of Retrospect did you use to create the original set?

It is not possible to access the data without the catalog. If you created the backup with version 5.5 or later, there is a feature called Fast Catalog Rebuild which will allow you to create a catalog file from the last member of the backup set, rather then attempting to read all the disks. When starting the rebuild - insert the last member.

If the only change was the OS, you may want to move the drive to another computer to see if you have any better success. Retrospect is compatible with all Win OS's - however, since this is the only variable that has changed, there may be a problem that is preventing proper access to the drive.

Ensure that ASPI is installed correctly. Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe).

Make sure the drive is the Master on the secondary IDE channel.

Thank you for the reply.

No, I have not tried to create a new backup set since upgrading.

Not sure exactly which version the faulty backup set was created with. I originally bought the product in Oct 2001; what version was shipping then? I later upgraded it on May 30, 2002 to 5.6, and took the backup set on May 31.. therefore, I am assuming it was created with v5.6. In Oct of 2002, I upgraded to 6.0

The drive is not the problem. It failed with my Yamaha 2100 that created it, and since I suspected the drive might be at fault, I replaced it with a new Yamaha 3200 - and got exactly the same failure. Moving it to another system would not prove anything.

The drive is a master; there is a second drive (DVD Player) on the same string set as slave.

The ASPICHK gave me the following results:

LOG0166: *****************************************************************

LOG0167: Starting ASPICHK installer on Tue Dec 17 16:34:04 2002

ASPICHK0492: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)

ASPICHK0499: Platform = INTEL

UPGRADE0626: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 09/10/1999 11:06:00, 45056 bytes.

UPGRADE0687: c:\windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.6.0.1021

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system\winaspi.dll does not exist

UPGRADE0423: No existing file to compare, upgrade/operation recommended

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys does not exist

UPGRADE0585: File c:\windows\system\wowpost.exe does not exist

ASPICHK0579: Inconsistent version numbers among components

ASPICHK0649: ASPI installation has problems

LOG0249: Closing installer log on Tue Dec 17 16:34:04 2002

LOG0250: *****************************************************************

While this appears to be at fault, I am reluctant to run the ASPIINST as you suggest because when I attempt to start it, I get the message:

"This utility upgrades ASPI for Windows 95/NT. Do you wish to continue?"

It would appear that although this utility is dated July 08,2002, it is not intended for Windows XP. Is there a source for this utility for Windows XP? Or will this one work for my system?

Paul

Archived