Disaster Recovery and Symantec Utilities

disteinborn

I performed a full disaster recovery this past weekend as part of replacing the main fixed disk drive in my system. After the recovery was completed, the firewall in Symantec's Norton Internet Security suite (2003 edition) would not start. It indicated in the error message that it issued at start-up that a registry entry was incorrect and that it need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled.

Similarly, Norton Windoctor within Norton Utilities 2002 indicated that there was a registry error for it too and that the whole suite needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Uninstalling and reinstalling both suites fixed both registry errors.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, have you found a way to avoid it?

TIA

Hi,

I am not sure specifically wha the cause of this is (I'm new to Retrospect), but I've seen similar symptoms with other backup programs. Usually, this is either caused by virus checking data files being in use at the time of backup and hence not providing a consistent state, or having the virus checking data files being automatically updated in the middle of a backup. Even the Microsoft Restore application gets into this problem when the registry points to one data file which was never properly saved for similar reasons.

Take care,

John

Archived