Shut down doesn't

Hi folks,

We're running Retro v.5.0 238 on a Mac G4/OS 9.0.4. Backup itself runs fine.

Clients include G4s, G3s, and a bevy of G3 iMacs, running OS 9.1 or 9.2.2. Script is set to run, then shut down clients and backup machine. Script is set to email backup report to me (using Eudora 4.3.3).

1) It appears that if Eudora is open it tries to send the email but machine wants to shut down before it gets sent, so Eudora sits with the dialog box asking should it send first and then quit or just quit. Does neither: I don't get email; machine doesn't shut down. I eventually get the email the next day when staffer on that machine comes in, shuts down and then starts up again, sending the queued email.

2) G4 and G3 clients all shut down after backup; iMacs don't. They seem to go into a deep sleep; when awakened the next day they immediately shut down cold.

Can anyone help? A thread in networking and clients forum discussed this and similar problems, but, while several requested help, nobody ever responded with an explanation or resolution.

We hate to waste energy; would love to get that email report and shut down the iMacs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

In reply to:

1) It appears that if Eudora is open it tries to send the email but machine wants to shut down before it gets sent, so Eudora sits with the dialog box asking should it send first and then quit or just quit. Does neither: I don't get email; machine doesn't shut down. I eventually get the email the next day when staffer on that machine comes in, shuts down and then starts up again, sending the queued email.

The only ways around this, that I can see, would be to either create an AppleScript that answers the modal dialog box from Eudora, or set your Energy Saver to shut down the computer nightly at a time at a specified time. You may also be able to set Eudora to send mail immediately.

In reply to:

2) G4 and G3 clients all shut down after backup; iMacs don't. They seem to go into a deep sleep; when awakened the next day they immediately shut down cold.

Try isolating this on a particular client for troubleshooting. Leave the computer booted with only base extensions plus the Retrospect Client - does the problem go away? Also, make sure your Energy Saver is set to not sleep the machine - only the monitor.

Archived