New User

rws6620

I currently have no backup software for my home computer. I'm looking to purchase something and I downloaded Retropect Pro last night and will probably play with it tonight. I have a couple of questions and am looking for some help.

1. I'm going to be backing up to CDs. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using CD-R versus CD-RW for backups?

2. I'm planning on re-formatting my harddrive soon and re-installing all my software. I'd like to make an archive of my current setup and then use Retrospect to pull off the various data (not program) files I care about. How well will Retrospect work for this particular use? It seems like it should work like a champ, but I thought I'd ask. How easy is it to just pull off the specific files I care about?

Thanks,

Rob

To wrs6620

The most important difference between CD-R and CD-RW is that the latter allows you to use the media more than once. IE: You only have one chance to do it right with CD-R; with CD-RW you can overcome mistakes. (I like that feature a lot.) It also lets you work with a permanent set of backups, or a rotating set for future backups.

Archived