schizophrenic retrospect

Hi! I made a full backup of my computer onto my Maxtor (generic Microsoft driver) with my newly purchased Retrospect Professional 6.0 about two months ago. Today, when I tried to restore an individual file, the same version of Retrospect that made the tape on this device could not find any catalog or see the device at all. My computer knows the device is there and working properly, as device manager confirms...computer is calling the tape drive G. I can open drive G and see all my files, I manually restored the file that I needed, but need to have the drive and Retrospect working in order to do an incremental backup and be ready in case of a disaster recovery. The knowledge base at this Dantz site doesn't mention this problem, at least not as far as I could see, having read over 12 pages of info. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...Shoshana

Tape drives cannot be browsed in Windows Explorer, nor does Maxtor produce tape drives, that I'm aware of.

If you're referring to a hard drive, and not a tape drive, and you can see the files in Windows Explorer format then you actually did a Duplicate, rather then a backup. For more complete information on the differences between backups and duplicates, please see the following Knowledgebasecolor=blue>

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27235 article.

Your options for restoring files are to duplicate the files back to the original hard drive or drag and drop them into the proper location.

Archived