More Than One Snapshot?

FuzzyJohn

Why is it that my backup sets (OnStream DI-30 FAST) show more than one snapshot for each drive? One is dated 10/26/2002 and the other is dated 11/28/2002.

This seems to happen every now and then, but it also seems to happen around the same time on several machines where I use Retrospect. It also happened with Retrospect Desktop v5.x.

John

Unfortunatelly that is not the case. Most computers that I have seen this on, only have one user and on most of those, only manual backups are performed.

However, one thing that I seem to notice when I looked back in the logs, the last time this happened on 2 computers that I have access to at this moment was after I updated RDU.RPX from v3.3.105 to v3.4.106.

Does this mean anything?

John

You can check the properties of the snapshots in Configure > Backup Sets by getting properties on a given backup set to see if anything stands out.

Another possibility is that something changed on the drive that made Retrospect think it wasn't _exactly_ the same drive again. It could be something as simple as a name change.

Well... so far this seems to be a mistery.

<<< You can check the properties of the snapshots in Configure > Backup Sets by getting properties on a given backup set to see if anything stands out. >>>

Checking the properties of both snapshots reveals no changes:

Snapshot 1:

Backup Set: John Backup Set D

Type: Volume

User: John

Created: Saturday, October 26, 2002, 09:10:09 AM

File System: NTFS

Attributes: startup volume

Contains: Registry, COM+ Class Registration database, WMI Repository, Disk Quota Information

Snapshot #2

Backup Set: John Backup Set D

Type: Volume

User: John

Created: Thursday, November 28, 2002, 09:54:49 AM

File System: NTFS

Attributes: startup volume

Contains: Registry, COM+ Class Registration database, WMI Repository, Disk Quota Information

<<< Another possibility is that something changed on the drive that made Retrospect think it wasn't _exactly_ the same drive again. It could be something as simple as a name change. >>>

I don't know what to say about this. I did not change the name of the drive. And besides, that hard drive has 4 partitions and each partition shows 2 snapshots in the backup set. The log does not show any kind of problem during the October 26, 2002 backup or during the next backup.

Hi,

I have noticed that backups started manually have a different user... what is the significance of saving both snapshots because they are from different users? What is the advantage? If it didn't do this, I could still retrieve it like any other snapshot, right?

Take care,

John

In reply to:

I have noticed that backups started manually have a different user

Retrospect is subject to the permissions of the currently logged in user. If Retrospect is launched manually, it may not have access to all files on the system if the currently logged in user does not have access.

Archived