203 / 206 errors on iMac SuperDrive

Retrospect 5.0.238, Superdrive DVR-104/ firmware A227, Memorex CD-R media

Since updating Retrospect to the current version and updating the Superdrive to the current firmware version A227, I can no longer complete a backup on CD-R media (Memorex 700MB 16X or 20X media). I receive either 203 "hardware failure" or 206 "drive returned error, dirty heads etc." and when trying to verify the members of the backup sets that supposedly completed correctly, I find that Retrospect cannot read them.

I can neither complete incremental backups on the media, nor can I do a full backup. Is it Retrospect that is the problem, the Pioneer drive, or the media? I have always been able to complete backups with Memorex media before, on the same drive (earlier firmware), using Retrospect (earlier version).

Error 203 (hardware failure) is actually one of the least ambiguous error messages that can be generated by the hardware. I mean this only in that it really is a hardware failure. I would suggest trying other name branded media. If it still fails, I would contact Apple.

If the wrong firmware was installed, installed incorrectly, or just plain failed, you may have drive problem on your hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Further update:

Retrospect works with Apple-branded DVD media (4.7GB) on the Superdrive with the previously mentioned versions.

I also tried a Verbatim 16X CDR media (650MB). Retrospect failed to compete the backup. reporting a 203 error after burning 80% of it successfully.

The problem seems to be Retrospect with CD-R media (changing brand did not solve the problem). Note that I was able to burn a music CD to the same CD-R media with I-tunes. This likely rules out the Superdrive as the problem.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Pioneer firmware. The firmware was released to address issues with the drive that were causing damage to the drive itself.

He stated that he had already updated the firmware, which addresses a DVD issue; like me, he's having problems backing up to CD-R. No other applications are having problems writing to CD-R media, and I'm not convinced it's because Retrospect is just pickier about verifying.

Archived