Argh. *All* clients stop responding! Why?

Argh...

I'm still seeing this.

It's either something about 10.2.2, or something about Retro 5.0.238 (I don't want to back down to 5.0.205 because I need the fix for the memory leak running in backup server mode...)

I'm running in "backup server" mode.

Clients will be scanned and listed as "backed up" in the "status" column. This is fine and expected (normal) behaviorr.

Then *something* happens -- and I have no idea what.

All the Client will be listed as "source" in the "status" column.

I can ping the clients from the Network Utility. I can browse the web from the 10.2.2 machine. The Mac *is* on the network just fine.

It's just that Retrospect can not suddenly find *any* clients.

If I stop the backup server and manually try to connect to the clients from Configure --> Clients, none can be connected to. All appear to be "off" -- Mac *or* Windows clients. It doesn't matter. All of them are not reachable.

if I try to quit Retrospect at this point, it doesn't fully quit and I need to force quit.

Restarting clears this up. For a while at least.

Anybody else seeing this? Is it a 10.2.2 issue? Or is it a Retrospect 5.0.238 issue?

To me, this is much more serious than the "finder.dat" issue...

I'm also having the very same issue running

OS 10.2.2

Retrospect 5.0.238

Clients running 5.0.540

I experience the same freeze when trying to quit retrospect and upon restarting the app, the clients backup again.

I'm using a G4/400 with 320mb ram

initio a100u2w card

Lacie AIT2 tape drive (just a sony drive in a lacie enclosure)

The machine also has a pair of ide drives inside raided on a sonnet ata 100 card.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Exactly the same problem here.

OS X Server 10.1.5

Retrospect server 5.0.236

G4 tower with internal DVD- writer.

problem occurs maybe every few weeks.

Force-quit of Retrospect required, but it does get things working again.

I have had a similar problem for a long time with one iMac. After upgrading to 10.2.2 from 10.1.x I cannot accomplish the first login to the iMac. It keeps telling me I have the wrong password, error 507. Of course I am certain the password is corrrect. I even uninstalled and reinstalled to be sure the password is correct. Retrospect shows the iMac is available for first login in the 'Clients On Network' window. I added the client via the client's IP address. This problem started maybe two months ago and I tried all the suggestions from this forum but still no success. Recently I realized the firmware on the server and iMac were not up to date. I updated the iMac and the problem still persists. I have not yet updated the server. I have heard there are major changes in filesharing and networking from 10.1 to 10.2. The server is running 10.1.5.

In reply to:

I connected the client to the backup server with a cross over cable and still have the same problem. I turned off Retrospect Client and backup server says 'Client is turned off'. I turn on Retrospect Client and backup server says 'Can't login, error 507(incorrect password). It appears the server can see the correct Client. I also had the firewalls disabled. Any ideas of what I should try next? Is there a preference file on the server that keeps client information I should consider discarding? The client was using OS 10.1.4 without problems backing up. Then the drive was erased and Jaguar installed. The password was kept the same. Now it has this problem. Perhaps the server is confused.

:: and ::

I have had a similar problem for a long time with one iMac. After upgrading to 10.2.2 from 10.1.x I cannot accomplish the first login to the iMac. It keeps telling me I have the wrong password, error 507. Of course I am certain the password is corrrect. I even uninstalled and reinstalled to be sure the password is correct. Retrospect shows the iMac is available for first login in the 'Clients On Network' window. I added the client via the client's IP address. This problem started maybe two months ago and I tried all the suggestions from this forum but still no success. Recently I realized the firmware on the server and iMac were not up to date. I updated the iMac and the problem still persists. I have not yet updated the server. I have heard there are major changes in filesharing and networking from 10.1 to 10.2. The server is running 10.1.5.

Assuming that the password you're typing into Retrospect when you attempt to log in is the same password you typed into the Client when you installed (which I suggested in an earlier response might have been different) we have to grasp for other causes.

In that same earlier response I suggested that Macintosh computers are Good because their error messages say what the problem is. But was I justified in such a blanket statement? What if Retrospect is generating the wrong message for what's happening?

I'd test both hardware and software. Here's what comes to mind:

Software:

Using an external, bootable FireWire hard drive, I would install OS X 10.2.2 and the OS X Client. Boot up the problem iMac, try and connect with Retrospect.

If it fails, take that FireWire drive to another Macintosh (preferably one that has been successfully logged in with Retrospect) and boot up from the new install. Try and connect with Retrospect.

If the iMac fails and another mac succeeds with the _same software_ then you're looking at some sort of hardware (networking) problem.

Back at the iMac, install an AirPort card (to give an alternate TCP/IP port). Test again.

Note that if you turn the OS X Client "off" and attempt to log in from Retrospect, you will get the "error 503 (client is turned off)" error no matter _what_ you use as a password.

Dave

(who would be interested in knowing the results of tests such as these)

In reply to:

How about some tests for when we get *all* clients not responding?

Easy one to try. Put Retrospect on a different Macintosh. Preferably on a different physical switch. See if that behaves any differently.

It just sounds as if it's a networking issue of the single Retrospect machine, and nothing to do with the clients themsleves.

Davie

No, I agree -- it's not a client issue.

But the machine that stops seeing the clients *has all other networking working* -- web, "ssh", ftp, etc. -- all that works.

What stops working is the ability for Retrospect to see the clients until a force-quit of the program and a restart of the system

That's the current problem (which doesn't happen all the time, but has happened enough that it's noticable.)

I booted from an external firewire drive with Retrospect client installed on it as you suggested. I was able to login to the iMac! This appears to say there is something wrong on the internal drive. The problem started promptly after the installation of 10.2 so it seems odd there would be a problem unless something went wrong at installation. Do you think the answer to the problem is to do a re-install?

I am also having the exact same problem.

OS X 10.2.2

Retrospect server 5.0.238

400mhz G4 tower 512mb RAM

This problem has appeared intermittantly but appears to be more frequent lately? I can not say for sure but it may have appeared when I updated to 10.2.2.

Force-quit of Retrospect also get's things going for me as well. Usually through one more cycle of backups then as it scans the clients again I get source for each and every one.

This does not appear to be a network issue as this machine can access the internet and connect to the client computers via filesharing, etc.

Must be an issue between Retrospect Server and OS X 10.2.2.

Now that I'm using the "officially supported" Adaptec 1.2 driver for my 29160 SCSI card, I can no longer possibly blame this issue on the SCSI card.

But it happened again using that driver: "all of a sudden" ALL my sources in my backup server script went to "source" instead of "backed up".

And -- again -- as before -- I could not just "quit" retrospect. it had to be force quit to stop.

Is this a 10.2.2 issue? Or something else?

Not seeing clients would not be related to SCSI card problems.

Have you tried the suggestion from another forum poster:

In reply to:

Put Retrospect on a different Macintosh. Preferably on a different physical switch. See if that behaves any differently.

If so, what are the results?

I'm certainly willing to consider the switch that all my backup machines are plugged into. That's \a possibility -- EXCEPT it doesn't explain why all other network services continue to work when this happens, nor does it explain why Retrospect has to be "force quit" to quit when it's in that state.

I've updated to 10.2.3 and will test this for a while with that to see if the problem reappears

- Steve

I have 4 computers -- 3 G4/533 and 1 G4/450 running current Retrospect and (before today) 10.2.2. All have 384M RAM and all are running the current Build of Retrospect. 3 of the 4 computers are on one switch, the 4th is on a different connection.

I have seen this behavior on all 4 computers -- though not at the same time.

This is why I don't think it's necessarily the switch. When one stops working, the others are continuing to work just fine.

What I don't know is if it's something about a signal from a specific *client* that would be causing this. 3 of the 4 machines back up Windows clients only. The 4th backs up Mac clients.

I've had instances where I've rebooted the system, it goes back to backup server mode, it will back up one computer eventually, then everything goes to "source" again.

I've never actually *seen* the change, unfortunately...

I'm hopeful 10.2.3 improves something.

• 1 month later...

Archived