Backing up to CD ROM

MEDIAMEDIA

I'm backing up a NAS (Merlin Technologies EssentialServer Network Attached Server device) to CD-ROM via a WinXP Pro PC running Retrospect Pro 6. We're using a peer-to-peer network and TCP/IP. This is a small office setting with 5 workstations sharing their data through the NAS.

The software is set up on one of the workstations and runs incremental backups on 2 separate sets that run on Wednesdays and Fridays. Each set ran fine for about a month (8 CDs) at which point the software asked for 7 CDs in one session (growing our set to 15 CDs).

We do get the occasional "error - 1116 (can't access network volume)" and sometimes date/time mismatch error if someone is working on a file being backed up.

Our backup options are:

- Fast catalog file rebuild

- Don't compress catalog file info

Any reason why we were asked to insert 7 CDs in one session and should we expect this every month?

Did you change backup sets or continue using the same backup set? Incremental backups can only compare within the same backup set.

Did this happen during the DST time switch? If the time was changed while the volume was mounted, the files may have their creation and or modification times changed.

Check the backup session that spanned 7 CD's to see which files changed (Configure > Backup Sets > Configure > Sessions).

Q: Did you change backup sets or continue using the same backup set?

A: Well, we have 2 sets and alternate between them. We didn't have any problem for several months until we hit that snag on one of the sets that prompted us to insert an extra 7 CDs in succession.

Q: Did this happen during the DST time switch? If the time was changed while the volume was mounted, the files may have their creation and or modification times changed.

A: I'll have to confirm that but my understanding is it happened after the time switch.

Q: Check the backup session that spanned 7 CD's to see which files changed (Configure > Backup Sets > Configure > Sessions).

A: I'll look into it but could this situation arise if the size of the catalog file gets too large?

Thanks,

Mediamedia

Archived