can't connect to clients

akirwan1

I have tried to get my Windows XP box running Retro Pro 6.x and another XP box running Client 6.x over tcp/ip to connect but have been unable. When I go to add a client the program just keep saying looking for client. When I hit test and type in the name or ip address the software connects to the client and gives the Client IP address, name and client software. After hitting okay Retro continues to say looking for client. I can exchange files between the two computers without a problem and they are both connected to the net through tcp/ip. What's the deal?

If the test command works, yet the machine does not respond to a multicast broadcast, there are a few possibilities:

1. The machines are in different subnets. Professional can only access machines in the same subnet.

2. A firewall is blocking proper access. By default, Windows XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall restricts network access to many networking services including the Retrospect client.

When you install the Retrospect client 5.6 or later on systems with the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall enabled, the installer automatically makes the required changes to allow Retrospect client communication.

However, if you enable Windows XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall on a computer already running the Retrospect client, you will need to run a Retrospect utility to enable client communication through the firewall. Run the "retfwset.exe" utility, found in the Retrospect client directory (by default C:\Program Files\Dantz\Client), to allow Retrospect client communication.

3. UDP packets are being blocked by hardware or software. Many routers, by default, block UDP packets from being transmitted. Check your hardware settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the Carpal Tunnel Commando:

Re: your response to 'can't connect to clients', 11/21/02 01:50pm. How would I search for the UDP packets you mentioned? I'm running XP Pro. (Just ran the retfwset.exe utility, but it did not solve my problem. I cannot find the Retrospect "Test" mentioned in the original query.

My symptoms are that Retrospect 6.0.206 says the client (a Dell laptop 8200 XP Pro computer with its own built-in network bridge) is not connected to my backup server (a Dell desktop 8200 XP Pro computer) [Retrospect > Configure > Clients menu path]. IPCONFIG and PING say both computers are connected properly; and, I can exchange files between them; and, the client (laptop) computer can use a printer attached to the backup server (desktop).

This happened once before and was cleared up. Unfortunately, I cannot remember how that issue was solved. Also run the McAfee Firewall software, but cannot see how to configure it to allow UDP traffic on my local network.

In reply to:

I cannot find the Retrospect "Test" mentioned in the original query.

You can find this by going to Configure > Clients > Add > Test. Type in the IP address of the client to see if you get a positive response.

Do you see the client listed under Configure > Clients? If so, "forget" the client and try to re-add it (Configure > Clients > Add)

There is a great third-party free utility called PortQuery (made by PlotSoft) that you can download to ensure that Port 497 is open on your client. PortQuery should be available through an internet search.

1. I downloaded the PortQuery utility you suggested. It shows that port 497 is active on the client, but it is NOT active on the backup server. I ran PortQuery on both machines with the same outcome. Is the problem with my backup server (desktop) and not the client (laptop)?

2. I tried adding a new client from Retrospect Pro 6.0.206 on the backup server. No joy. It says that the LAN is not working.

3. Running IPCONFIG works fine on both computers. PING, however, from the backup server gets no response from the client machine. Two days ago that was not the case. I have the log files from both computers showing they were communicating. Also have been able to transfer files back and forth successfully before today, but cannot now.

4. I have worked with (and developed applications for) computers for thirty years. Was a system administrator on HP-9000 systems for ten years. The networking always seemed to work then, although had help getting it going in the HP-9000/PC environment. I now believe that Windows XP networking is not stable, what works properly one time does not the next.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having trouble seeing my clients. I can ping 192.168.1.100 and see the volume of the computer. I have a linksys cable/dsl router that most likely is blocking the UDP ports. I can tell it which ports to forward to a specific ip address (in this case 192.168.1.100). Maybe if I could determine what port retrospect needed on the client then I could make the change to my router.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

• 1 month later...

I too am experiencing the same issue -- Cant see client from Retrospect "console"

2 XP Pro machines, new installs on both, nothing funny configured, no personal firewalls. Machines can see each other just fine over IP (XP "host" machine is Static IP P4 class workstation PC, XP Client machine is DHCP'ed but since there's very little movement on my net and leases are long, IP is predictable and constant) Files and printers can be shared. Host machine is running 6.x, Client is active on Laptop. 100bT lan between using switched hub.

-- Independently, both machines can access DSL internet connections, browse, get mail, make ftp / ping connections -- do anything that I expect a network client to do ..

-- Run PORTQUERY on client machine, port 497 is active. 497 IS NOT active on host (did not expect this)

-- from host -- Add Client -- Scanning for clients is blank -- Cursor flashes "hourglass" 3 x slowly then stops .. TEST and put in client's IP, it comes up immediately (-- YET -- there is no way to force a client manually into this ADD CLIENT scenario -- bad form).

-- I can SHARE the C$ volume from the laptop (Client) onto the Host and do a backup. (Retrospect mechanically works)

Only conclusion is that there is something either from the Client or host that is not communicating well over network.

All tips that I can try have been exhausted .. There are 2 more PC's on the same net that I can install the client on and try again.

I've been a great fan of Retrospect (ex-Mac customer) and I must have a collection of about 36 DAT tapes that I had made in the past. The ease of Use (prior expereince) made me go and buy Professional V 6.. But I'm stimied..

I'm open to suggestions, but please be aware that I've been doing networking and sysadmin work for a LONG time (not a Newbie). I'm capable of stupid things, but this SHOULD BE plug and play.

Help!!!

Thanks in advance

Mike

Quote:

TEST and put in client's IP, it comes up immediately (-- YET -- there is no way to force a client manually into this ADD CLIENT scenario -- bad form).

Adding by IP Address is only a feature of the higher versions of Retrospect (Single Server and Multi Server).

That you can see it by address, but not in a multicast broadcast, is typically indicitive of three things:

1. Firewall blocking Port 497 (have you verified that the built-in XP firewall is disabled?)

2. UDP packets blocked on network - in many cases I've seen a router block UDP by default

3. Machines are on different subnets or on different sides of the router.

Here's the best test to isolate issue to network issue or a computer configuration issue - give each machine a static IP and connect them with a cross-over cable. If you can now see the client, you can isolate the problem to a network configuration issue.

• 10 months later...

We have never been able to connect to Retrospect Windows clients on Dell laptops even now with the latest version (5.1) of Retrospect Backup Server for Mac OS X. All of our Windows clients on Dell desktops backup fine. There are no network configuration issues--everyone is on the same subnet and traffic on port 497 is allowed everywhere. It's only the Dell laptops that get the -1028 error "client is not visible on network"...

Hi,

Can't add by IP address, nor dns entry. Some of the laptops do have VPN software installed, but not all. Only one Ethernet adapter shows up, plus a 1394 and wireless on some, though the last two aren't active on any.

ALL Windows laptops are unable to be backed up... all give the -1028 error.

Hi

I suspect that the clients have bound themselves to the wrong adapter somehow. Make sure you have the latest windows client on those machines and then run the following from a command line:

c:\program files\dantz\client\retroclient -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

by typing in the IP address instead of "x"s you will bind Retrospect to the proper interface on the laptop. You may also want to run portscan on the laptops from your OSX machine with the network utility.

You may have checked this but Windows XP has a built in firewall that will need to be disabled too.

Nate

I had tried the command line -ip before. Port Scan doesn't come up open or closed... With all the network connections except ethernet disabled, I still get two listings when I do an ipconfig:

C:\Documents and Settings\jralton>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : analog.com

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.64.154.105

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.64.154.1

Ethernet adapter {8BC8DAC4-F290-4D03-9E6A-974751C986FB}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

confused.gif

Also, the Windows XP firewall is configured to allow access to all ports by default on all machines, same as the desktops. Only the laptops have this problem.

Hi

Are these laptops connected to docking stations? If so are the ethernet ports plugged in?

IP config is detecting 2 ethernet ports on your machine - one of which has no IP information. Does this port still show up when the VPN software is connected?

Nate

Archived