MS Bookshelf after restore

U15503

Under Retrospect Profession 6.0 (installed by upgrade over Retropsect Express), I recently had to perform a full drive restore due to a drive hardware failure. After successfully restoring the drive, I began receiving an error message indicating Bookshelf could not initialize, or words to that effect, when signing on as the Administrator. Microsoft Bookshelf had been installed under the Administrator key. The software normally would show an icon in the system tray. It was necessary to delete and reinstall the Bookshelf software. This also happened under Retrospect Express. Why does Retrospect not properly restore this application?

Yes, the hard drive was replaced. I have some additional details. The error message referred to in my original post is "Bookshelf must be installed in order to use the Quickshelf commands. Run the Setup Program from your Bookshelf software." After uninstalling and installing the software the message disappears and the icon properly shows in the system tray. This is a consistent occurence. I have had to perform a full drive restore three times and after partition, format and restore, I receive the same error message even though I correct the problem and perform a brand new full restrospect backup.

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to:

This is a consistent occurence. I have had to perform a full drive restore three times and after partition, format and restore, I receive the same error message even though I correct the problem and perform a brand new full restrospect backup.

Just so I'm completely clear, when you have corrected the problem on the new hard drive, you have then performed _another_ full backup and then restored back to the new hard drive? So the old hard drive is no longer involved?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, that is correct. After installing the new drive, performing a full drive restore, then fixing the MS Bookshelf problem, a new full backup and subsequent daily incremental backups all took place. It was necessary to again restore the drive after some time had passed. I followed the restore steps using my disaster recovery CD. After completing a successful recovery, the same problem with MS Bookshelf recurred.

Archived