Error # -102

agorman_co

I received an error -102 (communication lost), which (according to the help files) is a problem with the device. I can't see any problem with my OnStream DI30 (ide tape drive) or the tape. When I look at the properties of the tape, I see it is only 5.3 gb full (out of 15gb native); however, I keep getting prompted for a new tape for the set. I can't seem to use the remaining 10gb of the tape.

Is there any way to get that tape recognized as un-full?

What is the best way to try to reclaim/reuse that tape ("Forget it" "Recycle")? I wasn't sure if "Recycle" apply to the WHOLE BACKUP SET or if you could just recycle a SINGLE TAPE in the set.

In reply to:

Is there any way to get that tape recognized as un-full?

Once the hardware has generated a device error, Retrospect will not continue using the in-use tape. You'll need to proceed on to the next tape. You can also mark the member as missing, erase the tape and use it as the next member. You can also mark that member as missing, erase the tape and use it as the next member.

In reply to:

I received an error -102 (communication lost), which (according to the help files) is a problem with the device. I can't see any problem with my OnStream DI30 (ide tape drive) or the tape.

This error indicates there is a problem communicating between the drive and the computer. While marking members as missing will get you past the immediate issue, it is not a long-term solution. The best approach is to solve the problem causing the error.

Is it possible that this error is also because of a bad media (tape)?

I came across Error # -102 when I installed a new Sony drive. I only have one tape available (more on order). I repeatedly erased the tape and tried the backup and the problem seems to happen around the same place during the backup (about 1 GB into it).

I should get more tapes next week and I'll give it another try.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived