Restoring files to original folders

delaney

I am a new user to Retrospect Backup 6.0. I did a backup, then deleted several folders, and restored selected folders. To my surprise, Retrospect restored the files to a foder named "Backup Set A."

What gives here? Every other piece of backup software I have ever used allowed me to backup to the original directories. Is that not possible in Retrospect? If not, what do you do--restore to a directory named for your backup set and then copy the files manually into the proper folders? If so, isn't this a bit primitive for a piece of software that calls itself "Professional for Windows"?

Can anyone give me some help in how is the best way to restore selected files?

In reply to:

If so, isn't this a bit primitive for a piece of software that calls itself "Professional for Windows"?

It sure would be if that's the way it worked. However, Retrospect is much more powerful then that. When setting up restores of selected files, Retrospect will always default on the side of caution and restore to a new folder, rather then deleting existing files on your hard drive.

When setting up your restore, one of the Windows is the Destination Selection window. In this window, you have a drop down box with 4 options:

Restore Entire Volume

Replace Corresponding File

Retrieve Files and Folders

Retrieve Just Files

If you'll notice, the desciption in this window (when the default Retrieve Files and Folders is selected) says: Copying files and folders to a new folders on xxxx.

The above text is listed again after you select your destination when you are in the restore summary window where you'll find the restore button.

If you want to replace the corresponding files on your hard drive - select the option to: Replace Corresponding Files. Any option you select will give you a description of your choice.

Archived