Sony DVD-RW 120L

Koosha

I posted this wrongly to Retrospect 5 group. Sorry, so here again:

Using Ret.Pro.6, I've bought the new Sony 120L dvd-rw, hoping that 4.7 gig is enough to backup all of the clients .pst files in our Win2000 network. But so far couldn't manage to get it to work with the Retrospect desktop 6 on WinXP Pro.

First of all, it takes many XP restarts and firewire cable swapping to be able to see the Sony drive in the Retrospect device list. And if I'm lucky to see it, then i get HARDWARE ERROR or MEDIA FAILURE in the sony driver status.

I have downloaded and installed the latest Retrospect driver package and am using a new DVD-RW disk.

Any ideas?

Regards

Koosha

Post Extras:

Check to make sure you have the latest FireWire firmware update for your computer. Hardware vendors often release firmware updates that may help to resolve FireWire issues. Search the vendor web site for Updates.

Retrospect lists the current firmware of the drive that you are using in the version column of the Device Status (or Environment) window (accessible from Configure -> Devices). Check with the drive manufacturer for any firmware updates. If there is a known problem with a firmware version, this will be listed on the Dantz website.

Try a new piece of media to see if the problem is related to a faulty or damaged medium.

If applicable, try using a different brand of media. Often drives are picky regarding the brand of media. Follow the manufacturer's recommended list of brands.

Isolate the device. Another device on the chain may be interfering with the backup device's communication. If your backup device is connected to your computer through a hub or another FireWire device, unplug it and connect it directly to a port on the computer. If it is already connected directly to the computer, try changing ports. If the problem persists, do not reconnect the other devices, and continue down the checklist.

You may have a bad cable. Replace the cable that connects the device to the computer.

Update or reinstall the FireWire adapter drivers and/or firmware. Corrupt drivers can cause issues that may not be otherwise detectable. Check the manufacturer's or vendor's website for updated drivers.

Completely uninstall any other third-party backup software that may be on your machine, including any drivers that software may have loaded for the device.

The system board or FireWire adapter in the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer, if available, and try the device there as the only device.

The device itself may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on new media after changing media, cables, software, firmware and computers, then the backup device, being the only factor that has not changed, is the the last variable. Contact your drive vendor for further diagnostics, tests, or to inquire about repair or replacement.

I have tried all your suggestions, except the Sony firmware. I couldn't find any information or firmware downloads for it.

But i managed to rewrite on CD_RW and it works fine with that through firewire, so i think the computer is fine as it can communicate with the writer easily.

My only guess is a bad DVD media. even that, i used Sony's DVD-R and TDK DVD-RW. none of them worked. It keeps showing harware error as soon as i put the dvd-RW in the drive.

In reply to:

My only guess is a bad DVD media. even that, i used Sony's DVD-R and TDK DVD-RW. none of them worked. It keeps showing harware error as soon as i put the dvd-RW in the drive.

Or the drive could be having difficulty with DVD-R media. If all brands fail, you may want to consider contacting your vendor.

Archived